Engine rotation

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
balthaus
Aluminum Star

Engine rotation

Post by balthaus »

Hello all,
I am looking at a few Marinettes and, in my price range, most need some work. One that I have found is a 1987 32ft SDFB but the port engine block is cracked.
I hope that someone can tell me witch direction the port engine turns. I thought at some point Marinette dealt with the counter-rotation in the transmission instead of a counter rotation engine. Also anyone have a good source for long / short blocks?
1984 32' Sedan FB
Twin Chrysler 360's
1.52:1 Velvet Drives
Raw water cooled
Ohio River
Roger2
Aluminum Star

Re: Engine rotation

Post by Roger2 »

I have an 1983 37 aft cabin for sale with Marinette factory installed Volvo diesels for $65,000. doesn't need anything, drive away.

Roger Brown
217-414-0698
"Sea Jay" a 37' Double cabin with twin factory Volvo diesels, 230 HP each. Twin Disk 1.54 Trans turning DynaQuad 19X21 props.
Roger Brown
Petersburg, IL
balthaus
Aluminum Star

Post by balthaus »

Thanks Roger but that is well above my price range
1984 32' Sedan FB
Twin Chrysler 360's
Raw water cooled
Ohio River
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

At the risk of embarrassing myself (I know less than I actually think I do), I believe the port runs clockwise (from behind = behind being the fwd side of the engine, not the side closest to the stern) and starboard counter-rotates. Rotation isn't established in the trans, but rather from a doohickey in the distrib which has a special shaft setup. The props are pitched accordingly with a RH prop and an LH prop.

(I'll be watching to see whether this is confirmed - it's a brain test for me. Of course, if I am wrong I will delete this post to help me hide)
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

There is a standard on which one goes in the reverse rotation, but the only way to be sure is look at the prop on that side. If only the block is cracked, they are the same.If you are lucky the old block might be repairable, but if it is in bad shape you would be cheaper to get a new block.
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
Joe
Tin star

Post by Joe »

Standing at the stern. Looking forward. The left "Port" engine Normaly will turn counter clock wise. On a 32. With a 1to 1 trans and a 1.5 to 1 trans The props normaly will turn out" This wouild make the port engine a standard engine"Like a car 318. The starbard engine would be the counter rotating engine. Look at the transmission and see if you see a orange sticker showing the rotation. If Not there should be a metel tag on the engine at the back of the intake by the dist. It should have a "L" For left hand rotation Joe
1988 sedan flybridge. Black / White. 318 240 hp Aluminum aft deck hard top. Louisville Ky . Tartans landing. " KNOCKEFELLERS"
balthaus
Aluminum Star

Post by balthaus »

Thanks for all of the reply's.
I kinda thought the Port engine was the normal rotation but I wanted some confirmation.
I have not put eyeballs on this Marinette yet but might make the drive next weekend.
I just wonder what else might be up with her.
I have seen several places selling long blocks for right around 2k. Does this seem reasonable?? Jasper Engines will want serial #'s etc...to positively confirm engine so I have not gotten a quote from them. Nice thing about Jasper Engine is that I could drive there and get it myself (if they allow it).
1984 32' Sedan FB
Twin Chrysler 360's
Raw water cooled
Ohio River
Captainjack
New poster

Post by Captainjack »

Port engine is standard rotation, just short blocked my starboard, reverse rotating. You will spend about 6 to 7 grand for a pro to drop it in.
Big Enough II, 1975, 32' express fb, twin 318's with 1 to 1 transmissions, on beautiful Lake Charlevoix, MI, one more evening cruise please.
balthaus
Aluminum Star

Post by balthaus »

I was thinking about short blocking it as well.
It seems that a lot of the long blocks are 240hp and don't know if that makes a difference or not performance wise having a starboard 225hp and a port 240hp.
1984 32' Sedan FB
Twin Chrysler 360's
Raw water cooled
Ohio River
Captainjack
New poster

Post by Captainjack »

Don't know for sure, but I thought the difference in h.p. came from exhaust log shape. Rear exhaust being the lesser than the center tap log.
Big Enough II, 1975, 32' express fb, twin 318's with 1 to 1 transmissions, on beautiful Lake Charlevoix, MI, one more evening cruise please.