Tranmission

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Tranmission

Post by legendlc »

So in the mass confusion of trying to get these 12 year non running engines started I neglected to look at the transmission fluid. Finally found someone who knows these old motors etc and he had the port engine started in 30 seconds. It needs a carb rebuild and then we will see from there. But the boat shuddered when coming down off high revs during starting. We only ran it for maybe 60 seconds then again for 30 seconds. The shudder was alarming as the transmission was in neutral. Then he checked the dipstick and realized they were bone dry and the clutches were stuck. He thinks soaking in fluid while the carbs are rebuilt will hopefully unstick them. Did I potentially hurt the transmission or the shaft bushing? She was shuddering pretty good when coming off high revs but I'm guessing a dry shaft bushing and dry transmission may do that? Just seeing if it needs added to the things to fix etc.
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: Tranmission

Post by Fastjeff »

Did that twice to mine and both trannies survived. You'll need to fill/ suck out the dirty fluid/ refill/ repeat a few times before you get things back to normal. I used a Mighty Vac hand pump on mine and it works fine.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

Jeff thanks so much I have been wondering/stressing over that. Both shafts are disconnected now from the transmissions so hopefully I can get the motors started so we can hopefully make it to the lake yet this summer.
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
Harryb
Tin star

Post by Harryb »

Be very careful about allowing the prop shafts to be turning without water being on those cutlass bearings as it will very quickly ruin those bearings, if you can feel any up and down movement of the shafts at the props the cutlass bearings are already shot.
1987 32 f/b sedan with twin 318's Docked on florida's nature coast
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

Okay, will check that tomorrow.
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

By ANY movement are we talking like mm movement really torquing on the shaft up and down?
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY