Chrysler small block 416 stroker kit

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
Cabinfever
Tin star

Chrysler small block 416 stroker kit

Post by Cabinfever »

Eagle has stroker kits for our small block Chryslers, the largest being a 416, it has a 4 inch stroke, you have to be bored over .030, for a 4.070 bore. A 4 inch stroke would give our little Chryslers big block torque in a small block package. They have reasonable compression ratios too, so it would be reliable. For those of us wanting more power without having to change a whole lot of things this looks like a pretty good deal at a little under $1600.00 for a balanced rotating assembly.

I tried t link it to no avail, if you would like to see all the kits, look up Eagle Chrysler small block stroker kits.
Joe
1977 28 Express
Single 318
(RESTORATION IS ALL THE ROUTINE MATIANANCE AT ONCE)
ericinga
Aluminum Star

Re: Chrysler small block 416 stroker kit

Post by ericinga »

Joe-

That would be a beast of a motor but $1,600 is scratching the surface. You need to add heads (or a port job, valve increase to 2.0/1.8, new springs), lifters, cam, intake manifold, carb, exhaust manifold, stronger ignition system, etc, etc. In the end, it would be closer to $5K. However, that would be a beast of a motor. It is basically square and would easily produce 400 HP with a tame cam. That little 28' might actually need a more aggressive prop.

I like this approach and might start collecting parts. I've already found a long block from someone elses unfinished project for $400. Just need to start slumming in the local junk yards.

http://www.hotrod.com/howto/113_0304_31 ... ock_build/

Eric
Eric Spies
1989 32 SDFB
Twin 318s
Lake Lanier, GA
Marinette Boat
Cabinfever
Tin star

Post by Cabinfever »

We need a good source for reverse rotation custom ground cams for this project. I don't know what the lift and duration is on a stock marine Chrysler but I would imagine it is not large enough to support 416 cubic inches. I myself am going to start looking for a 360 in the junkyard for a core (I'm kicking myself in the rear now, I sold one a few months back). I'm thinking gasket match and port the intake and heads (I've done this on my 460 Ford in my truck, time consuming, but my time is free), larger cam, roller rockers, and keep it at 10:1 compression or below (so you can run on pump gas). I'm personally am not a fan of loud boats but I wonder if you removed the baffles and left the mufflers in place if you would gain some horsepower without too much of an increase in noise? One could go as far as they wanted with the performance accessories, but with a few simple mods (keep it reliable), I bet you could get 2/3's more power than a stock 318. I have noticed in the automotive world you actually gain (or retain) efficiency with a mildly modified engine. I had a 351 in my Ford truck at one time, I installed the 460 with the same mods mentioned above and I am now getting 2 more mile a gallon (I used to get 10 now I get 12). I like this idea better than the Cummins 4BT idea I posted before, maybe if I sold the 4BT it would fund my 416 project, Hmmmm.
Joe
1977 28 Express
Single 318
ericinga
Aluminum Star

Post by ericinga »

Check out that link to hot rod magazine. 400HP from a 318 without modifying the stroke or bore. If you're creative, it can be done for $1,000 or so per motor. Reverse rotation cams are available. The big drawback to 318s is the piston height. From the factory, the pistons are 0.050 or more below deck height. This causes low compression. The 302 casting heads for 318s have a 52cc combustion chamber compared to the stock 68cc. By decking the heads and using the 302 casting heads, compression can be increased to 10:1. Port and channel the heads, add larger valves and you're pulling over 300HP without touching the cam. Change the cam and get more HP out of it. It takes advantage of the volumetric efficiency.

Read that article. I'll be slumming in junkyards around ATL this fall. If you're interested, I'll look for two sets of parts.

Eric
Eric Spies
1989 32 SDFB
Twin 318s
Lake Lanier, GA
Marinette Boat
Cabinfever
Tin star

Post by Cabinfever »

My nephew works at an engine shop, they have lots of cores, I can probably get one (or 2, let me know) pretty cheap. 400HP from a 318 is impressive, my only wonder would be how reliable it would be, one horsepower per cubic inch makes for a pretty reliable engine, too much more than that and you run into reliability issues. The thought of a twin engine 28 with built 416's makes me smile, could you imagine having nearly 1,000HP in a 28, passing all the Baja me too's (there's lots of them around here :D :D ), a single 416 will be awesome enough for me. If one had lots of fun money (not me) put triplets in a 28 or a 32, run on the center engine cruising, fire up the other 2 when you want to go fast, like they did with the PT boats. You'd probably have to modify the hull for stability though. Now I'm just getting silly, but it would still be cool.
Joe
1977 28 Express
Single 318
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

That combination will require high octane, and the gas mileage will not be anywhere near as good as a stock motor.

If you had a go-fast boat, that combo would make sense, but not for a cruiser.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
ericinga
Aluminum Star

Post by ericinga »

Joe-

Depends on your location and the casting numbers on the 318. I'll be looking for specific years.

As for the engine build, mine will be in the 325 HP range. Massage the valve and head ports, deck the heads, larger valves, ported 318 intake and maybe a different cam or 1.6:1 rocker arms. Would like to find a quadrajet in decent shape and jet it to fit the motor. This should make a very reliable but spunky little motor for under $1,000. Granted, I'll be doing alot of the grunt work.

BTW - Have you ever seen a Harley take down a Hayabusa? I've done it a few times and the moments have been priceless. So, taking down a Baja with a cruiser would be a ton of fun. Have to convince the wife to let me get another boat. There's a 28' FB in NC with twin motors (seized) for $3,800.

Eric
Eric Spies
1989 32 SDFB
Twin 318s
Lake Lanier, GA
Marinette Boat
liquidplummer
Tin star

Post by liquidplummer »

Stock velvet drives are only rated for 325 hp. Some modification on your transmissions would be necessary for that much horsepower.
Silver Queen St Louis Mo
1982 37 ft flybridge sedan twin 360 chryslers 1.91 velvet drives
ericinga
Aluminum Star

Post by ericinga »

Are higher performance friction plates or a higher pressure pump required?
I need to check the pressure on the trans to see if it is in spec anyway. Rebuild kit for the 71C is $150ish and it does not look like a complicated job.
After 37 years, it probably wouldn't hurt to rebuild it.

Eric
Eric Spies
1989 32 SDFB
Twin 318s
Lake Lanier, GA
Marinette Boat
Cabinfever
Tin star

Post by Cabinfever »

Here's something to ponder for everyone. A lot of people would say put in a bigger engine and your going to get crappy fuel mileage. If you only put in the bigger engine, yes, you'll get crappier fuel mileage. A larger engine (especially a longer stroke) will give you torque, more torque (leverage) will allow you to do the same work at a lower RPM (if you don't believe me, look up a 427 and a 428 ford, compare the difference in horsepower and torque compared to bore and stroke of each) Personal experience has taught me that a larger engine at a lower RPM (overdrive) will burn about the same fuel (in my case it's a little better) as a smaller engine turning at a higher RPM, when you want the power it's there, but that doesn't mean you have to use it. Say you have a single 318 in a 28 BigM , you run 2,000RPM @ 10MPH........., now you've built and installed your 416 stroker, you now may only be turning 1,500RPM @ 10MPH, burning about the same amount of fuel, moving the same amount of water at a lower RPM with a steeper pitched (or larger) prop. Say now your running around at 1,500RPM with your 416 and a huge storm comes rolling in, :o :o :o crap, we need to get to port, now you can turn your max 4,200RPM and move more water than you ever dreamed about with the stock 318 at 4,200RPM, yes you burned a lot of fuel but you got back in to port faster than your old 318 would have.

I believe there is a limit to this, this would probably not be true if you found a 600 cube drag motor and installed it in your boat. Keep your build mild, get the air in the engine more efficiently (gasket match, port, etc.), eliminate friction (roller rockers, synthetic oil, etc.). My belief is compression and clean up the induction and exhaust systems are the most free horsepower you can get (if your rebuilding anyways), but don't go over 10:1 or you cant run on pump gas (93 octane). Build your engine so that ever thing works together, you can't just put in the largest cam you can find and have an engine that runs well, a lot of people have that misconception. One guy couldn't win a football game by himself, yes I'm watching the game and came up with that analogy, pretty good huh? :geek: :geek:
Joe
1977 28 Express
Single 318