Chrysler 318 starter rebuild kit....

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
ericinga
Aluminum Star

Chrysler 318 starter rebuild kit....

Post by ericinga »

So, at anchor this afternoon and had the starter fail. The plan was to rebuild it this winter but had to do it today on the lake. Got it apart, cleaned it up and it worked like a champ.

The brushes are worn and one of the springs is broken. Otherwise, it looks great inside. Amazingly, the commutator did not have much pitting or groves, the shaft surfaces are not worn and bearings look good.

Anyone know where to buy a rebuild kit? Really only need the springs and brushes. It's an Arco brand starter with a remote located solenoid.

Thanks!

Eric
Eric Spies
1989 32 SDFB
Twin 318s
Lake Lanier, GA
Marinette Boat
semperfive
Tin star

Re: Chrysler 318 starter rebuild kit....

Post by semperfive »

You might try Lawrenceville Auto Electric on Hurricane Shoals Road. Perhaps a Napa store would have a brush selector. Many small electric motor repair facilities and lawn mower shops have them. They're just brushes, after all. Even if you found something just a smidge oversized you could trim it to get it to fit. Springs are everywhere. Most hardware purveyors have a selector drawer or two.
Good job getting that on site repair done, McGuyver.
Where were you at anchor ? I was anchored outside and across from Aqualand.
ericinga
Aluminum Star

Re: Chrysler 318 starter rebuild kit....

Post by ericinga »

We were anchored across from Aqualand on the sandbar between the two islands at marker D. There was a 32 SFB on the same side of the island. We typically head north of Browns Bridge but decided to hit the sandbar. You'll have to let me know the next time you're out there.

Slacks Auto has been pretty good about finding unusual parts. Local store manager has become used to my requests. If that doesn't work, I'll call LAE.

The wife has become accustomed to the MacGuyver routine this season. She just grabs a book and waits until the repair is done. However, it has never been the same problem twice.

Eric
Eric Spies
1989 32 SDFB
Twin 318s
Lake Lanier, GA
Marinette Boat