running on one engine?

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
bboats
New poster

running on one engine?

Post by bboats »

I have a 32 sedan bridge with 318 Chryslers. My question is can you operate the boat on one engine and if so what do you need to do with the dormant side?
bboats
Docsnow
Tin star

Re: running on one engine?

Post by Docsnow »

I've heard to devise a method to stop the idle engine from rotating & have used this especially when going at upper limit speeds on one engine :ugeek: so as not to mar the shaft I brazed the jaws of a set of vise grips 8-) BUT then I've also heard that wasn't necessary but I'd rather B safe then sorry shelling out a few grand for a new tranny not too mention the down time :roll:

Norm,

BigM Lives On :D
tundrarules
Aluminum Star

Post by tundrarules »

Most of the guys on here say u can run one engine no problem. If u wanted the dead engine prop not to turn, you could just put it in gear. My understanding is that we can free wheel the dead engine no problem. I would think free wheeling would get u a little better gas mileage...which is a joke in the first place... LOL. With one engine, I usually run 1500 rpm. I hope all the old captains on here are right... That's what I have been doing for about 100 hrs. My trans is still running strong. 8-)
1985 29 Sedan
Edelbrock 1409 carbs
Mallory distributors
Pertronix Flame-Thrower coil & wires
780 hrs/eng
TN River, MM 213.8

:mrgreen:
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

From what I've heard, I agree; the freewheeling prop does not hurt the trans. Running just one motor at 1,500 rpms WILL increase gas mileage, per my study with a Flo Scan.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington