440 differences in production years

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
metalmanbret
New poster

440 differences in production years

Post by metalmanbret »

I need the experts advice. I will need to rebuild my 440's at some point. Approaching 1600 hours on them. They actually run great, and don't burn oil, but I know I have low conpression in some cylinders. Probably loose valve springs or bad valve seats. Anyway, one thought was to buy another 440, have it rebuilt and ready to go. Then do one at a time. My boat is an '84. From everything I could find out, they stopped making 440's in '79. Either they produced them longer, or marinette had a bunch in stock and kept putting them in. I have a chance to buy a '72 440. Is the long block a direct swap, or are there differences?
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: 440 differences in production years

Post by Fastjeff »

Probably it will interchange, but you need to ask these guys:

http://www.marineengine.com/ (Go to the Chrysler inboard--not outboard--site.)

Jeff

PS: Have you checked compression after shooting some oil in the plug holes? This tells you the rings condition. If the compression doesn't change very much, all you need to do the heads. (If it goes way up, get the hook out.) My experience with those motors is that you may simply need a good valve job. Cheap and a pierce of cake compared to....you know!
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
metalmanbret
New poster

Post by metalmanbret »

I know the old oil in the cylinder trick. I figured it was valves because it doesn't smoke or burn oil, but 1600 is still a lot of hours and sometimes it seems that its better to leave a good running engine alone. I want to be pro-active and not wait til the middle of the summer when I blow an engine!
ericinga
Aluminum Star

Post by ericinga »

FWIW - I had a long talk with the surveyor about the motor in our 28' express. He is an admitted Chrysler fan. His contention is that a well maintained marine V8 engine should last upwards of 2000 to 3000 hours. The duty cycles are not extreme and the motors lead a fairly pampered life. His only caveat was constant WOT operation significantly shortens life. His definition of proper maintenance: oil change every 50 hours or once a season, properly tuned fuel delivery, fresh spark plugs every year and new water pump impellers at least once per season. Basically, treat it right and don't abuse it.

Our '76 318 has 120 ft lbs average across the cylinders and leak down tests show it needs a valve job. I'll probably throw in new lifters at the same time since a lifter in the #5 cylinder is weak. A couple hundred bucks and she'll be good to go for another couple hundred hours.

If it's not burning oil, get a leak down tester and check the valves. I think mine was $100. You may only need to lap the valves and put it back together.

Eric
Eric Spies
1989 32 SDFB
Twin 318s
Lake Lanier, GA
Marinette Boat
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Totally agree, Eric. That surveyor is a smart fellow and, Heavens knows there are that many of them left.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington