rudder bushing

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
tjc7t7

rudder bushing

Post by tjc7t7 »

after reading an inspection post about checking the rudder for slop ( worn bushing) . I decided to check mine and discovered it has about a quarter inch slop. Is this at the point where it needs addressed and if so are there any recommendations on where to get one? Im just putting the final touches on the boat before i launch it this later this week. I also cleaned the zincs today and noticed something i never have before. I replaced the zincs two years ago and they still are in good shape with the exception of the one on the prop shaft. It is still the original from when i bought the boat four years ago. It also is in decent shape but when cleaning it i noticed it had a copper spot on the inside that would be in contact with the shaft. There was one on each half
in the same spot. Is this right? I know the how copper and Al. dont mix and this doesn't seem right but i want to check with the experts?
1984 28 Express hardtop single 318. Lake Erie Jefferson Ohio
jralbert
Site Admin

Re: rudder bushing

Post by jralbert »

That's an interesting observation. My guess is that if the shaft zinc isn't worn and there's no corrosion on the shaft, put it back and forget about it. I would be surprised if that is copper on the zinc. Doesn't seem to make sense

BTW folks, I have a pair (I'm pretty sure iot's two - though it may be one) left over from my boat ownership days. 1 1/4" zinc - unused, of course. West Marine has them for $19-$20. $5 apiece + postage. Let me know
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: rudder bushing

Post by bcassedy »

Joel,
Sending you a pm.

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.