Repower Discussion

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
jtalberts
Aluminum Star

Repower Discussion

Post by jtalberts »

When I bought my boat, I knew that the engines were getting old. They have a mess of auto grade parts on them from previous owners "fixing" issues. They are intake manifolds are pretty rusted out and my exhaust manifolds are the originals from 1973. Other than a few parts, there isn't much that looks to me like it is worth bolting onto a rebuilt engine. With my job as of late, my time has become more precious to come by and I would like something I could almost "drop in". So I have gone over my options....

Option 1: Get a long block and replace bad parts.
-I don't mind this option but the time to source the parts and then put it together is on me. I could save money this way.

Option 2: Purchase a near complete rebuilt 318
-I found a website that will sell me an almost complete Chrysler 318 minus a few brackets and the wiring harness that will carry over from the old engines.
-The price will be a little more expensive than gathering the parts myself but I will get a full 2 year warranty on the engines.

Option 3: Repower with Crusaders
-This option is appealing because the engines are still currently manufactured and maintenance/service isn't an issue
-This option is also the most expensive. Probably about $2-3k increase in price over option 2.
-I believe there will need to be a good bit of work in the boat to have these fit and it might require a transmission change because of the HP increase.

Let me know what you think. I am not sold on any option. Option 3 I would definitely have to take this to a ship yard and get the work done. Option 1 and 2 I could gather the local crew to help get it done. My main concerns on those would be getting the alignment correct.
1973 Marinette Seacrest Executive
41x14
Twin Chrysler 340's with Velvet Drive 71C
"Figment"
Cabinfever
Tin star

Re: Repower Discussion

Post by Cabinfever »

Me being cheep.....uh, thrifty, option one sounds good. Are your current engines in working order? If they are, then run your boat and enjoy it while you collect all your parts, when you have them all, bolt everything together and you have option two sitting on the floor ready to install for much less money. I restored my boat over a couple years. Trying to keep your boat in working order while you make repairs can't always be done but, if you can it'll keep you from being overwhelmed and getting burnt out from a long drawn out project. Two years not being on the water sucked.
Joe
1977 28 Express
Single 318
(RESTORATION IS ALL THE ROUTINE MATIANANCE AT ONCE)
jtalberts
Aluminum Star

Post by jtalberts »

The time off the water is why option 2 is appealing to me.

The engines currently run well. The exhaust manifolds need addressed sooner than later. I have been trying to decide if I just buy a couple manifolds and hold off on the repower till one of the engines go or just get it done.
41x14
"Figment"
marinetteman
Site Admin

Post by marinetteman »

jtalberts wrote:When I bought my boat, I knew that the engines were getting old. They have a mess of auto grade parts on them from previous owners "fixing" issues. They are intake manifolds are pretty rusted out and my exhaust manifolds are the originals from 1973. Other than a few parts, there isn't much that looks to me like it is worth bolting onto a rebuilt engine. With my job as of late, my time has become more precious to come by and I would like something I could almost "drop in". So I have gone over my options....

Option 1: Get a long block and replace bad parts.
-I don't mind this option but the time to source the parts and then put it together is on me. I could save money this way.

Option 2: Purchase a near complete rebuilt 318
-I found a website that will sell me an almost complete Chrysler 318 minus a few brackets and the wiring harness that will carry over from the old engines.
-The price will be a little more expensive than gathering the parts myself but I will get a full 2 year warranty on the engines.

Option 3: Repower with Crusaders
-This option is appealing because the engines are still currently manufactured and maintenance/service isn't an issue
-This option is also the most expensive. Probably about $2-3k increase in price over option 2.
-I believe there will need to be a good bit of work in the boat to have these fit and it might require a transmission change because of the HP increase.

Let me know what you think. I am not sold on any option. Option 3 I would definitely have to take this to a ship yard and get the work done. Option 1 and 2 I could gather the local crew to help get it done. My main concerns on those would be getting the alignment correct.
I chose option 3... way too expensive 60K installed. Yes Sync n cruz is nice on crusaders. but go 2 or 1 IMHO. joe
Thank you
37 Foot Sedan Twin EFI Crusader 350s
Admin (forum founder)
Marinetteman (marinettejoe) BigM
Rockit
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockit »

Like everything else in life, it depends. If you have the yard install new Crusaders, open your wallet wide and kiss your money good bye. You will never recoup anything close to the cost of re-powering if and when you sell. The Crusaders will have different engine mounts, you will get new gauges, etc. That said, you may want the peace of mind that comes with new power and there is nothing wrong with that.

I looked at several options and decided to do a minor rebuild on the 318s. They are sturdy motors and parts availability is still good. And the Ohio River is a pretty tame place to go boating. I might feel differently if I was crossing from Ft. Lauderdale to Bimini on a regular basis.

Good luck,

Joe
Joe Napoli
1977 28' Express
Twin raw water cooled 318s
Beaver River--near mile 25 on the Ohio
jtalberts
Aluminum Star

Post by jtalberts »

Rockit, I am about 50 river miles south of you. Who did you have do your work or did you do it yourself?
41x14
"Figment"
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

The repower discussion is never ending.

1. There are those that like to tinker.....are handy.....and enjoy the challenge and the work.

2. Are young enough to do the work...have the tools....have the time.....

3. Those that have all of the above and rebuilding and tinkering is the best option based on all the factors and finances.

4. Then the others who do not have all the time, youth, experience, tools, help etc to complete the project.

5. Those like above prefer to max. time on the water and have the resources to have the work done.

The reality:

Often started projects are never completed:

Results are unacceptable with little or no improvement or often worse than what they started with.

Experience may NOT be in proper marine installations and a dangerous safety issue may be created by installing non marine parts, standards etc.

You can also look at it this way:

Our boats are under valued:
A new 32 FT anything will run in excess of $100000 K
So if you like your baby and want to keep it say another 10 plus years then spending for new crate engines is still a bargin compared to buying a new boat.

I have been looking at trawlers for years and am amazed at how expensive even 20 year old salt water boats are! I can afford to put a lot of fuel in my Big M and engines before I ever come close to the cost of the trawler.

One more thought:

Someone mentioned a 2 year warranty engines.
Does not mean much when the average boater puts less than 50 hrs per year on their boat motors.
Would you buy a car because it had a 100 hour warranty? :)

At my age I will either have to let the old girl go or find a way to have a repower down by pros.

Either way you go enjoy the journey!

dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

When I had to put new engines in I looked at rebuilt 318's and found that you can't get parts. Best price was try to (maybe) find parts and piece together two engines at over 8,000 each. For less money I got new crusaders with new Velvet drives and the warentee for what it is worth. Transmissions were $1,000 each and could not get the old ones rebuilt for that price. Easy to drop in the new engines,use the old rear mounts that go to the tranny and all is the same from the tranny back. If you have a lot of parts you can use you might be cheaper to stay with a 318 but I needed everything. The new engines were quick and easy to swap out and if you pay someone it should be a couple days work to pull the old, clean the bilge and drop in the new, and all new guages with a factory cable to plug in for the connections. Chunk of money, but if you keep the boat it might be the cheapest way to go.
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
Rockit
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockit »

I would hesitate to recommend the shop I used for the rebuild. They didn't touch the water pump that I ended up rebuilding myself and I just had to have the heads machined on the port engine. Looked like they did rework the top a bit--the lifters, pistons and valves were all good when we pulled the heads.

Moral is to shop around for a good shop if you are doing a rebuild.
Joe Napoli
1977 28' Express
Twin raw water cooled 318s
Beaver River--near mile 25 on the Ohio
jtalberts
Aluminum Star

Post by jtalberts »

Busia wrote:When I had to put new engines in I looked at rebuilt 318's and found that you can't get parts. Best price was try to (maybe) find parts and piece together two engines at over 8,000 each. For less money I got new crusaders with new Velvet drives and the warentee for what it is worth. Transmissions were $1,000 each and could not get the old ones rebuilt for that price. Easy to drop in the new engines,use the old rear mounts that go to the tranny and all is the same from the tranny back. If you have a lot of parts you can use you might be cheaper to stay with a 318 but I needed everything. The new engines were quick and easy to swap out and if you pay someone it should be a couple days work to pull the old, clean the bilge and drop in the new, and all new guages with a factory cable to plug in for the connections. Chunk of money, but if you keep the boat it might be the cheapest way to go.

Just curious, how much did it cost you?
41x14
"Figment"