Priming engine oil

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Priming engine oil

Post by legendlc »

I have Chrysler 440's that have been sitting for approximately 12 years on my 37dc I am restoring. I have read/heard somewhere that these engines oil system are not self priming. Does anyone have any tips tricks on how to prime them before attempting to start? Or at least before turning them over.

Thanks.
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: Priming engine oil

Post by Fastjeff »

..."I have read/heard somewhere that these engines oil system are not self priming."

I believe so, for the oil pumps on those are mounted outside on the block with a tube to the oil pan.

You might try winging them over with the plugs out, but a better way would be to remove the distributors and rig up a drill driver to spin the pumps until you see oil pressure.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

Those drill drivers/adapters are available from Summit Racing for less than 10 bucks... https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-901013
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

Maybe pull off one of the valve covers, the side that's easy to get at, and run the drill until you see oil squirting up thru the pushrods/rockers too. Once the oil is up top, then you know the lower bearings and oil galleys are primed.
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

Great find on the part from Summit. I had found some info on using the hex and a drill driver but I was having trouble locating something the proper size. Never even thought about summit. Thanks a ton.
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Wish I had know that when my rebuilt long block arrived years ago. I assumed (doh!) it would come with an oil pump/ distributor shaft, so I ground all the teeth off the one I had to make a primer. The supplier of the motor sent me one to replace it!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

So I got a hex shaft and hit the oil pump with it and a cordless drill in hand. I think I understand that the rotation should be counter clockwise looking down at the motor. I hit it with a couple minute run and am not getting oil to pump. Does anyone know how long to spin this I'm not certain if running the oil pump dry can cause damage to it. Also if I cannot build pressure does anyone know the process of how to try and pressurize the system with an air tank? Taking apart the oil pump to pack the gears sounds like a big challenge.
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Are you SURE you're rotating it the right way?

If so, you'll have to pack the pump. That's the problem with that design, where the oil pump is not submerged in oil.

Jeff

PS: The new GM LS series engines have the same problem. Their oil pump is located on the crankshaft, in front, with a long tube down to the oil.
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

Not sure if it's stock but my engines have remote oil filters as well. The hoses for supply and return have to be a good 2 feet or close to it. Not sure if that's stock or not.
I turned it counter clockwise looking down at it. Not sure if that was correct? I did try CW as well for a while and no luck either.
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Arrgh! Turning it backwards only complicates it. Please look that motor up and see which way is correct.

I'd also short circuit those long oil lines, just for this start up. (The delayed oil pressure at every start up can cause bearing damage, but if you need them...) Adding Lucas oil supplement reduces the damage on cold starts--my old RV used to rod knock like crazy without it.

Good luck!

Jeff