Packing Gland Hose Replacement

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
ForEvers
New poster

Packing Gland Hose Replacement

Post by ForEvers »

I am doing a complete remake/refit on a 1972 32 Express. At present, I am replacing all (4) packing gland hoses...(2) rudder and (2) prop shaft. I plan to use proper Buck Algonquin hose.

My question...What size hose?

This question is the result of having done this before. The hull pipe is 1 7/8" OD on all....the glands are all 1 3/4" OD... the shafts are 1".
Last time I started with 2" hose but could not compress the hose for a snug fit on the gland. I then tried 1 3/4" hose, but could not expand the hose to fit the pipe, even with a heat gun.

Am I missing something? Is there a hack I do not know about?

Thanks for your expertise.
Gary
Forevers is a 32' Custom Express from 1972
with twin 318's.
Docked on southern Lake Michigan
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Packing Gland Hose Replacement

Post by EWRice »

I think I used 1 7/8" hose on mine. 2 clamps on each side of the hose.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by carl »

BigM
Last edited by carl on Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by EWRice »

Both my prop shaft and rudder shaft glands were mismatched from the tubes. Not sure if that was factory or not. They sealed up just fine with new hose.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
MetalHead
Site Admin

Post by MetalHead »

I have been reading on this the past few days and also contacted Buck Algonquin. BA said they don't make the 1-7/8 size and thought stretching the 1-3/4 would be hard to do and may not be the best idea. I did read other places where someone heated the hose in very hot water to make it more pliable. The hose is thick, 5 ply rubber. I have a request out to these guys below to see what they have to offer in this space.

http://mandrelbendingsolutions.com/5-pl ... r-reducer/
1959 Family Cruiser - Sold - Gary Dick - 12/05/14
1963 Express 31x10 - Sold - Joe & Ginger Tabor - 01/21/2017
1963 Express 31x8.5 - In Dry Dock - Restore Underway
1987 Sportsman - Lay Lake (Coosa River) Alabama
Big BigM 's Rule !!!
Columbiana, AL
ForEvers
New poster

Post by ForEvers »

Thanks MetalHead, Mandrel Bending Solutions might be the answer, though I don't see a 1 7/8" - 1 3/4" listed. Thanks for reaching out to them.

I have been unable to find 1 7/8" hose.
Last time, I tried heat and a vise to expand 1 3/4" hose, but 5 ply nylon reinforced hose is strong, thick and heavy...I couldn't get it done
Next I tried 2" hose, it tightened fine on the tube, but the gland would still spin. I couldn't get it tight enough before the clamps would break.

I have a hack that will work, and I may do it again. I used a 1 3/4" single ply piece of rubber hose on the glad end. I used it as a shim/spacer/ferrule under the B/A hose. I used 5200 to seal it all up, then let it sit for 4-5 days to allow the 5200 to cure. After it was cured, I clamped it up. It worked well.
with twin 318's.
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

From an admittedly naïve standpoint.... Would the following work for expanding the 1 3/4" hose up 1/8" (ie. to reach the 1 7/8" size).
1. put the 1 3/4" hose in a vice (using a plug of some type situated down inside it - recessed sufficiently down inside to simulate the amount of 1 7/8" needed to fit over the fitting.
* This would allow for ample clamping force to just hold the hose in place as there'll be no twisting necessary (read on)
- Have point 3. ready for quick use...
2. Using a heat gun, heat the empty section of hose (ie. that section without the plug in it) to a point where it becomes readily pliable but not so hot as to compromise the structure of the hose.
3. use a muffler expansion tool (inserted down inside the section of hose to be expanded (and up against the above "plug")) and carefully expand the hose to slightly more than 1 7/8".
-> this will allow for: a. some possible hose contraction as it cools b. easier placement over the tube
4. allow the now expanded heated hose - with the expansion tool still in place - to cool down to normal/house temp.
5. remove the expansion tool...
NOTE - watch / feel the amount of "grip" exerted on the tool as you release it from the interior of the hose. If there's constant "gripping", the hose may not be able to retain the 1 7/8" sizing.
6. use the now expanded hose as you need (after removing <if used> the metal shim from NOTE 2 below).
NOTE 2 - it may be advisable to make a shim to place in the hose end to be expanded using a 2" piece of muffler pipe that has been sawn lengthwise on one side and collapsed just enough to fit inside the hose to be expanded (prior to heating). This would allow for a uniform expansion of the hose after it's heated and the expansion tool is inserted.

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

I would not recommend "Rule Goldberg" engineering anywhere below the waterline! Buy the correct packing gland shaft hose. Buck Alogonquin has it.

safe boating,

dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
ForEvers
New poster

Post by ForEvers »

With due respect barkleydave, they do not.
with twin 318's.
carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by carl »

BigM
Last edited by carl on Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:49 am, edited 3 times in total.