Rear Deck

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
DLMyers
New poster

Rear Deck

Post by DLMyers »

Has anyone put in a floor made of Al plate. I saw where they are available. Any photo's would be helpful, or if anyone has one installed around western, central Lake Erie that we we could look at?
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Rear Deck

Post by Busia »

Try this again... I have a reply saved as a draft here somewhere...
I put a new deck of aluminum down. Will be about the same cost as wood, and I can pull it to work down below. Just screw it down with countersunk scews. Had it up this spring to put in a new aluminum gas tank. Now no more rusty steel tank. E-mail or call me at 907-617-7832 if you want to talk. I'm in Alaska, 1 hour earlier than Seattle.--Ed
Attachments
rear deck--19kb.jpg
rear deck--19kb.jpg (25.78 KiB) Viewed 12782 times
deck and engines 19kb.jpg
deck and engines 19kb.jpg (25.53 KiB) Viewed 12782 times
deck 16kb.jpg
deck 16kb.jpg (21.38 KiB) Viewed 12782 times
Last edited by Busia on Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
DLMyers
New poster

Post by DLMyers »

Thanks B. Looking it over.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

I applied Al plate about 1/8 " thick over the existing wood deck. Easy to do that way--no crawling about in the bilge with a screw driver!

Any rotten wood was replaced first. I drilled and countersunk the holes for the SS flat head screws and drove them into the wood. By using cardboard templates, I was able to get the pieces to fit fairly well, and the Al has been water tight for several years now (meaning water pools on the deck). The Al plate--after several experiments--was covered with a rug, which is tossed out every few years. A nice solution!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
DLMyers
New poster

Post by DLMyers »

Thanks fastjeff
Rivetman
Tin star

Post by Rivetman »

How did you get it under the helm?...or does it fit around it? Thinking about aluminum now.
1973 28FB Express "Whisper" on the hard @ Tucker Engineered Lumberyard Yaght Club and Reggae Bar...I dream of H2O, not gravel!