Zebra muscle colony location

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Zebra muscle colony location

Post by bcassedy »

I know it's still "boatin' season" for some of our southern folks, but it's gotten chilly here in the Ohio valley and parts north so pulling the boat time has come. We had ours pulled yesterday and the yard left her sitting by the wash racks so I could pressure wash the hull.

All went normally till I got back by the Capac sensor. I found a colony of 30 or so Zebra muscles congregated around the actual sensor but not attached to it. I've had Zebra muscles on the hull before but never nestled next to the Capac sensor. There were very few (under a handful) attached to other parts of the boat.

Just wondered if anyone might know a reason ("fisherman stories" welcome ;) ) for what I found.

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
jralbert
Site Admin

Re: Zebra muscle colony location

Post by jralbert »

If there was no anti-fouling paint at that spot, it could account for the growth. You can paint the plastic ring surrounding the metal center (which is not to be painted) of the Capac.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Roger2
Aluminum Star

Post by Roger2 »

They seem to like the anodes on my trim tabs.
"Sea Jay" a 37' Double cabin with twin factory Volvo diesels, 230 HP each. Twin Disk 1.54 Trans turning DynaQuad 19X21 props.
Roger Brown
Petersburg, IL
jtalberts
Aluminum Star

Post by jtalberts »

Here is what I have found in the location of zebra muscles. They tend to love the areas that seem to have some sort of electrical reaction around them. The CAPAC and annodes are always covered with them.
1973 Marinette Seacrest Executive
41x14
Twin Chrysler 340's with Velvet Drive 71C
"Figment"
jtalberts
Aluminum Star

Post by jtalberts »

To add, my Kingscraft that had huge corrosion issues was covered in them from front to back.
1973 Marinette Seacrest Executive
41x14
Twin Chrysler 340's with Velvet Drive 71C
"Figment"