Deck Drainage

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
Rivetman
Tin star

Deck Drainage

Post by Rivetman »

I am restoring 73 28 Express. Visited work site in the rain and saw water draining down S side of hull (12' wide spread of water) through topsides at lip. Is this a design feature keeping lots of water from moving aft or is there a lack of caulk? Found similar area on P side but in different place.
Window tracks leaking like crazy.....saving up for new tracks.
1973 28FB Express "Whisper" on the hard @ Tucker Engineered Lumberyard Yaght Club and Reggae Bar...I dream of H2O, not gravel!
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Deck Drainage

Post by bill »

:?: Is your boat on the hard or in the water? :roll:
I have found that the window tracks are not the cause of water leaks. It is usually the screw holes thru the aluminum, they need to be caulked. :shock:
I find the hardest part about the window tracks is trying to clean the green gunk the grows in them. :mrgreen:
Bill
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
GB49
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by GB49 »

Be sure to cut the track ends to allow proper drainage. If water does not drain, the tracks will get scummy and build up with crud. Water will then overflow on the inside track and into the cabin.
Marinette should have made the inside track higher to avoid the overflow problem.

I removed my salon tracks 2-3 years ago and cut them all a little shorter. They drain immediately and no growth so far.

As Bill mentioned, caulk the screw holes too.

-karl
1986 Sedan 32'. Twin Chrysler 360in^3, 275hp.
Forum member since 1998.
Rivetman
Tin star

Post by Rivetman »

Thanks guys....the issue is not with the window tracks, but along the deck lip-to-hull connection topsides.......water drains at the seam and runs down hull to water. Any thoughts?
1973 28FB Express "Whisper" on the hard @ Tucker Engineered Lumberyard Yaght Club and Reggae Bar...I dream of H2O, not gravel!
GB49
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by GB49 »

Rivetman wrote:Thanks guys....the issue is not with the window tracks, but along the deck lip-to-hull connection topsides.......water drains at the seam and runs down hull to water. Any thoughts?

They all do that due to the design of the rub rail. Some people slip plastic strips between rail and hull to make a drip edge. Helps reduce the black streaks on hull.
1986 Sedan 32'. Twin Chrysler 360in^3, 275hp.
Forum member since 1998.
Rivetman
Tin star

Post by Rivetman »

Thanks GB49....I feel better.