Mechanical Steering Lubrication

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
ericinga
Aluminum Star

Mechanical Steering Lubrication

Post by ericinga »

The steering on our boat was a little tough last year. The cable always seemed to bind returning to center from port. I thought it was the cable binding and worried the it would fray and snap under way. BTW - The back-up plan was to let the wife stand in the bilge and control the rudder. She didn't think my back-up plan was funny.

The steering system is a Steermaster Mark II and new cables are $300.

The issue appears to have been no grease in the steering gear box. The gears inside the steering case were dry and crusted with old grease. I cleaned out the box, greased the gears and reinstalled it. Now, the steering is silky smooth in both directions.

If the steering is a little rough on your mechanical steering gear, think about disassembling and greasing it.

Eric
Eric Spies
1989 32 SDFB
Twin 318s
Lake Lanier, GA
Marinette Boat
Roger2
Aluminum Star

Re: Mechanical Steering Lubrication

Post by Roger2 »

Where did you find cables?
Roger
"Sea Jay" a 37' Double cabin with twin factory Volvo diesels, 230 HP each. Twin Disk 1.54 Trans turning DynaQuad 19X21 props.
Roger Brown
Petersburg, IL
ericinga
Aluminum Star

Post by ericinga »

http://www.glen-l.com/inboard-hdw/steer ... ables.html

I had found an entire assembly on eBay for $150.

The gear box is a royal pain to assemble. Made me think about buying the assembly.
Eric Spies
1989 32 SDFB
Twin 318s
Lake Lanier, GA
Marinette Boat
swgdoors
New poster

Post by swgdoors »

steering is almost unusable from upper helm.....how do i fix that problem....do you think it is the cable?
jmonday
Aluminum Star

Post by jmonday »

Last year I had to replace my steering cable. Used a teleflex and made a couple of parts for the rudder end. (you can buy it all from teleplex.) BIG note to any one doing this. I did not see the short on the new housing and yep you get the picture got so hot it welded the new system solid. I had to space the dash panel out about 5/8 of an inch to get a good clearance for all the wiring. (also so had to replace some wires back to the motor!) Just an FYI if you are thinking new vs finding the old stuff. Everything works great the second time around. HA!
Jeff Monday (Blue Mondays)
1973 28 ft Express single 318 1976 StarCraft Islander 1961 Sea Nymph
Lower River rd
Rabbit Hash KY
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

I had to do the same. I also replaced Steermaster with Teleflex. It was the fastest cheapest way to go. Had to make an adapter for the cable end but now parts are available and I can replace the whole system for $200.
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
Odyssey13
New poster

Post by Odyssey13 »

My problem is the steering from the upper station. Cannot decide if the cable needs replaced or if something is binding at the aft end where it is attached to the rudder assembly. We disconnected the cable from the rudder assembly and the cable moves freely. As soon as we reattach it becomes very difficult to turn the wheel. The boat is a 32ft sedan. Also if I replace it can some body tell me the correct length of cable I need to find. Any thoughts or suggestions.

Don
Odyssey13
Odyssey13
New poster

Post by Odyssey13 »

A P.S. to my upper station steering problem. The lower steering is just fine. Can turn the wheel with one finger.

Don
Odyssey13
DWW

Post by DWW »

I just replaced the upper steering cable on my 32 Sedan, cable was 27 foot Steermaster Mark II, Marine Discounters Sandusky Ohio ordered it, Brad is extremely knowledgeable great to deal with. Had it overnighted. Not an easy task to install.
87’ 32 Marinette Sedan twin 360 Chrysler’s Lake Erie Geneva
BlueSkye
Aluminum Star

Post by BlueSkye »

"The back-up plan was to let the wife stand in the..."

If you have twins, you can navigate quite well enough to get back to the dock with the throttles alone.

Did I mention the set screws on the rudder coupling are important?
1971 32ft Express 2x318
Seneca Lake, Erie Canal, Lake Ontario, Rideau