Rudder bearing and packing gland.......

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
ericinga
Aluminum Star

Rudder bearing and packing gland.......

Post by ericinga »

As with other maintenance items from the previous owner, the rudder bearing was incorrectly replaced some time ago. The PO installed a 4" BETTY in the bottom of the bore. This caused the rudder to wear the bearing out and rock in the bore underway.

To compensate for the rudder slop, the PO installed a stainless steel bracket at the top of the rudder shaft with a bronze sleeve bearing. This stabilized the rudder shaft but required shims and a cannibalized plastic packing gland.

I replaced all this engineering with a Buck Algonquin bronze packing gland and the proper two piece bearing. It looks much better and should function better than the PO engineered unit.

Eric
Eric Spies
1989 32 SDFB
Twin 318s
Lake Lanier, GA
Marinette Boat
jtalberts
Aluminum Star

Re: Rudder bearing and packing gland.......

Post by jtalberts »

How long is your rudder tube? Mine appears to be about 6" in total length from bottom of boat to the top. My cutlass in both rudders are currently all one piece. I too just purchased a new Buck Algonquin packing glands as both of mine were fused to the rudders.
1973 Marinette Seacrest Executive
41x14
Twin Chrysler 340's with Velvet Drive 71C
"Figment"
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: Rudder bearing and packing gland.......

Post by Fastjeff »

Just for the record, you can tighten the HELL out of the rudder stuffing box to keep it from leaking (since it doesn't see rpms like the prop shaft).

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington