Air Conditioning

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
quackedup
New poster

Re: Air Conditioning

Post by quackedup »

Installed a 15k btu dometic rv rooftop in the salon of my 32' M. Works well, however, on really warm days I use a small desktop fan to push the cold air to the v berth. Easy to install and wire and all for under $650. Good luck.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Ditto; the 'cold' doesn't get into the forward Vee berth without a fan.

Jeff

PS: On those really hot days we used to have (Global Warming?) I used to hose the exterior of the boat down to lower its temperature. Helps the rooftop unit get the temp down sooner.
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
JvilleJeff
New poster

Post by JvilleJeff »

I know this thread was from a while back, but I've actually had great success with my Dometic AC. It's the DTU8, 8,000 BTUs: https://citimarinestore.com/en/249-dome ... nditioners

It's what used to be the Cruisair stowaway unit. It's got a small foot print, quiet, and most important of all, cools like it should. Maybe Cruisair has changed a bit since back when this was written, but I'm a fan.
JvilleJeff
New poster

Post by JvilleJeff »

No pun intended with the "fan"
Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Post by Tuggle »

When we purchased our 32 it had a Dometic 15000 BTU already installed. Since I've added an Air King Floor Fan under the steps, had to cut the handle off, and a small oscillating fan on top of the cabinet between the table and bath. With the A/C set on 7-8 and the fans on low you can almost hang meat in the cabin and this is on the hottest of days.
"Deplorable", 1975 32' Express, Twin 318's, Raw Water Cooled, Lake Lanier, Ga.
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

In the summer of 2016 our cruiseaire unit (thruhull feed for cooling medium), which had been limping along, gave up the ghost. I researched replacement units and finally settled on a Marinaire 16k btu ac/heat unit.
http://www.marinaire.com/Marine-air-con ... ba16k2.htm
There needed to be some modifications for installation (which I did):
- needed to fabricate a new "plenum" to connect the existing 7" (?) flexible duct leading to settee's side table where an existing grill was located. The other 4" fexible duct leading to the change area/front berth was also connected to the new plenum. All the fabrication was done on the boat while at the dock (ie... it can be a challenge but it's very doable!) I lined the inside of the plenum with insulation to keep plenum from sweating.
- return air intake cleaned up.
- new unit has remote control. Placed receiver for that under starboard galley rear window. Routed receiver's wire inside bulkhead, thru wine cellar and into a/c compartment (under aft seat in dinette area). This allows modification to environment (cooler/warmer - fan higher/lower) while sitting in dinette or up in salon.
-> plenty of air flow in change area adjacent to front berth.
-> airflow into salon area great.
--> I mounted an oscillating fan on the starboard bulkhead immediately above the settee's table grill. This puts the fan up out the way and allows an even distribution of cooled/heated air into salon and/or dinette area (s).

I guess I was glad the boat had a "wet" type A/C unit when we bought her as I didn't want to sacrifice loss of any usable deck space that a roof/deck mount unit would use up. And with all the glass our boat's have and the high humidity on the river, air conditioning was, and is, highly desireable.

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
tundrarules
Aluminum Star

Post by tundrarules »

I have the Cruiseair/Marinaire AC/Heat stowaway set up. It does a great job in the hot humid summer here in the south. Anything less will be a waste of money. We stay overnight about 40 days a year on our boat so AC is a top priority. It looks like it would have a large price tag :shock: $1700 plus install. $3000 total would be my guess :shock:

Let us know what u go with.
Last edited by tundrarules on Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
1985 29 Sedan
Edelbrock 1409 carbs
Mallory distributors
Pertronix Flame-Thrower coil & wires
780 hrs/eng
TN River, MM 213.8

:mrgreen:
barefoot99
Tin star

Post by barefoot99 »

Flagship Marine with electric heat option 16000btu