Replacing boat interior walls and ceiling idea

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
RustyBoat
Tin star

Replacing boat interior walls and ceiling idea

Post by RustyBoat »

I bought my neglected 68 fisherman 32 and have started rebuilding the interior. Looks like the previous owner removed all the hardware from the outside of the boat and did not seal up any of the holes which over the past few years has allowed water to ruin the whole interior. I have studied the interior and learned a lot and I will start to rebuild some of the interior soon and do not plan on restoring to original state.

after removing all the molded and rotten 1/4" panels from the walls and ceiling i have an idea to use plastic shower type panels to replace them. Has anyone done this before? This will remove the organic material for the mold to grow on and plastic will not rot. The panels are 1/16" of an inch, 4' x 8', and are textured on one side but I also plan on putting a layer of that silver bubble wrap radiant barrier behind the panels for insulation. Although I still have the stop all the leaks before starting the rebuild. Just wanted to get some input before purchasing several panels to begin.
1968 32' Fisherman
beginning restoration fall of 2014

Lake Sidney Lanier
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Replacing boat interior walls and ceiling idea

Post by bcassedy »

You might want to give Parkland Plastics a look: http://www.parklandplastics.com/
They have a product called DuraLux that comes in a variety of colors / textures that might fit your need.

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
Rockit
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockit »

For the interior panels, I glued a Parkland product over 1/4" plywood and primed the reverse side. I would not do it that way again--the plastic does not clean all that well and has separated from the plywood in a few places. (Not horrible, but still.) I ordered solid 1/4" plastic sheets for doing the cockpit and although they look good and clean well, they were harder to install because they are less flexible than plywood.

You may want call a few suppliers and ask for samples of their products. I did that and abused the samples to see if they got marked up and were easy to clean.

Good luck.
Joe Napoli
1977 28' Express
Twin raw water cooled 318s
Beaver River--near mile 25 on the Ohio
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

That plastic you are thinking of is FRP (fiberglass re-inforced plastic ) is available at any lumber yard or Lowes.- Been discussed here before as truck stop toilet walls.- I've considered it but the main problem is it is very thin. Normally it is applied over plywood for strength and to stiffen it. So you are back to the problem of wet plywood. ( the windows and tracks are where a lot of the leaks are ) If I get to it, I have thought of sheet aluminum in the cockpit area, and varnished plywood in the cabin. -- Only use exterior spar varnish anywhere on the boat. Sunlight will ruin any other varnish, it will blister and peel quickly and all your work will be wasted. Plan on lots of money and even more hours of labor for the boat, but to have it done right either you pay some one to maybe do it, or you do it yourself and learn your boat as you go.Which is worth a lot. __Ed
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
ddependo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by ddependo »

I used the panels from Lowes for walls and celeing over the bed in the bow. Worked out well easy to clean and doesn't mater if it gets wet . Plenty of places to screw it down on ribs. I'm not far. (Chattanooga) Check it out if you are in my area. wayne
1973 32 express fly bridge
Chattanooga
"Southern Lady"
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bill »

BigM RustyBoat wrote:

After removing all the molded and rotten 1/4" panels from the walls and ceiling i have an idea to use plastic shower type panels to replace them. Has anyone done this before?

Look at the vendors list for ceiling and walls material ideas. :)
What ever you do don't use that shower board that is shiny white on on side and brown on the other side. :roll: It is water proof on one side only. :oops:
And you know how these aluminum boats like to sweet. :roll:
I replaced my V berth ceiling with this product two years ago and now every srew hole has a nice large round BLACK spot around them. :x
I plan on replacing this with the corrugated polycarbonite from FarmTec. :!:
bill
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
yooper
Aluminum Star

Post by yooper »

My first Marinette, a 28' sedan, had rotten and delaminated walls. I pulled them all out to use as patterns for new material. There wasn't any way to get high quality teak 1/4" panels up here at anything near reasonable prices. I bought cheap 1/4" plywood with one nice sanded side, typically used for underlayment. I shopped around for pieces with a good figure. I coated the good side with stain to get a good color match followed with 3 layers of marine varnish and the backside and edges with porch paint. I coated the full 4 x 8 sheets before I cut out the panels. I could have saved some cost by cutting them first. The panels won't outlast plastic but will outlast me.
Bryan
New poster

Post by Bryan »

I used that fiberglass reinforced plastic mentioned above for the ceiling in my v-birth, it worked perfectly. I can try to get some pics if you'd like.
Bryan-
Middle Bass Island Ohio
1984 Sportsman, single 360
It's like a floating pick-up truck!
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bill »

Bryan,
Did you use any type of vapor barrier :?:
Pictures are always nice. :) if you can find a way to post them. :shock:
bill
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
Bryan
New poster

Post by Bryan »

No vapor barrier, screwed directly to the aluminum ribs.
Bryan-
Middle Bass Island Ohio
1984 Sportsman, single 360
It's like a floating pick-up truck!