Fuel filler hose removal

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
wschneid
Tin star

Fuel filler hose removal

Post by wschneid »

I have an 86 32 foot Marinette Flybridge Sedan with the Chrysler engines and twin 75 gal tanks. I had to remove the starboard tank and cut the fuel filler hose. I am ready to install the repaired tank but need to replace the filler hose. I can't get the old hose off the fuel filler fitting. Does anyone have any idea on how to remove the hose? I don't need to save the old one but can't seem to get enough room to cut the old one off. Help.

Bill Schneider
BlueSkye
Aluminum Star

Re: Fuel filler hose removal

Post by BlueSkye »

Have you tried a heat gun on the hose?
1971 32ft Express 2x318
Seneca Lake, Erie Canal, Lake Ontario, Rideau
BlueSkye
Aluminum Star

Post by BlueSkye »

Also, there is an access hole cut into the interior wall, I assume made by the previous owner. It's covered with a stainless plate. Four screws. Looks fine.
1971 32ft Express 2x318
Seneca Lake, Erie Canal, Lake Ontario, Rideau
Rockit
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockit »

Considering what passed through that hose, I'd be careful with a heat gun in an enclosed space. There probably isn't any residual fuel vapor, but . . .

You're talking about the deck fitting--yes? Can you remove the fitting from the deck?

Sorry to sound elementary, but please use the right grade hose and ground the deck fitting--had to do that on one of my dad's boats. Fortunately I was smaller in those days.

Good luck.
Joe Napoli
1977 28' Express
Twin raw water cooled 318s
Beaver River--near mile 25 on the Ohio
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

IMG_0780.jpg
IMG_0779.jpg
Just pulled my filler to inspect it. I just removed 4 screws and pulled the deck fitting up and out. It is normal for the rubber hose to glue itself onto the fitting. Try getting a flat screwdriver between the parts to free them. Some oil will help, or just cut it off short and then split it lengthwise with a hacksaw blade. Watch out for the steel wire inside the hose, it will be sharp.
Last edited by Busia on Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

There's a wire wound inside the hose that can be yanked free with vice grips. Grab one end of it and rip it right out of the hose.

That makes it a bit easier.

Good luck!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
wschneid
Tin star

Post by wschneid »

Thanks for all the suggestions.
1. I have not tried a heat gun, but I may (hair dryer).
2. There is an access plate, but it is small (6 X 8) . I tried using my sawz all with a long blade, but I could not get the blade high enough.
3. I removed the deck fitting, but the hose diameter is a little bigger than the hole through the deck.
4. I didn't see any wire on the type of hose I have.

Any thoughts on using some sort of penetrating oil or something to loosen the hose from the deck fitting?

Bill Schneider
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

Bill,
Maybe it's me (overly cautious) but I'd shy away from applying any heat source on or near the hose...
Alternatively, you could try running a utility knife a few inches down the length of the hose,starting as close to the fill fitting as possible. Start with moderate pressure on the blade (be sure it's sharp). This'll start the cut into the hose. You'll need to repeat this several times until:
1. The blade engages the embedded steel wire in the hose (if it's there)
A. If/when it does, you can use a pliers (needle nose or ???) to grab the wire and work it free from the hose. Start a couple of inches from where the hose meets the fill fitting.
B. Because the wire run inside the hose is helical it's unlikely you'll free it by very much. Just wrangle it out of the hose enough to get a good grip on the wire with a side cutters.
C. Cut the freed wire in half.
1. Pull and bend, out of way, the end AWAY from the fill fitting.
2. Work the end closest to the fill fitting towards the fill fitting.

2. With the wire pulled back you can proceed cutting the circumference of the hose (no wire to impeded progress). You'll finally either slice thru the hose interior or hit the steel fitting fill neck.
3. At this point you're only dealing with the short 2" section of hose that attaches to fill fitting.
4. If the hose shows signs of rust where it attaches to the fill fitting, you could squirt it with PB Blaster which'll loose the rust in 5 - 10 mins.
5. Using a large slip joint pipe pliers and a moderate amount of grip, work the hose on the pipe back and forth until the 2" section of hose breaks free of the fill fitting.
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
tjcimba

Post by tjcimba »

I cut my hose with Dremel cutting wheel, also worked to get the sanitary hose off this season for that system replacement. make a cut lengthwise and peel open. Hope it works.
wschneid
Tin star

Post by wschneid »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I finally tried a heat gun and that worked.

Bill Schneide