Dual Helm switching procedure/rudder issue

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
GregM
Tin star

Dual Helm switching procedure/rudder issue

Post by GregM »

Is there a recommended procedure for switching from lower to upper helm and vise versa? I'm having an issue when I turn the wheel all the way to port all I get is a strait rudder. When I turn all the way starboard it is a very slight angle. Generally I put the wheel in the middle then pull and turn the lever to switch helms. I am going to dig into rudder issue tomorrow but wanted to make sure this isn't self induced by not following the right steps.
Ray4713
Tin star

Re: Dual Helm switching procedure/rudder issue

Post by Ray4713 »

Greg,

Did you ever figure out your issue? I have had something similar when switching to the upper flybridge in which the steering seemed off as compared to the steering in the salon. My solution has been to first switch the control to the flybridge then climb up there and turn the wheel completely clockwise until it stops then counterclockwise until it stops. I usually do this twice then I am on my way.
1987 32' Sedan Flybridge "Brown Eyes"
Twin Chrysler 318s
Center Hill lake, TN
CapnGary
Tin star

Post by CapnGary »

Not an expert, for sure.
I notice that when switching stations, I have to turn the wheel back and forth until I feel a 'catch'.
I have settled on making sure the boat is going straight, then pulling the switch lever, then when switching, going back and forth with the opposite when until I can feel it 'catch'. Then proceed. I can feel a point where it connects or something like like.
I am newer to the boat, and don't know exactly how it works, but this is my experience from my '86 32 FB
I hope this helps.
CapnGary
1986 32'FB
Milton,Fl
GregM
Tin star

Post by GregM »

I did. Not sure if I am using the right terminology but it thinks its called the keyway. The piece that the linkage connects to that slides down on the square shaft that connects to the rudders. There is a cotter pin under the keyway that sheered off and allowed the key to drop a couple inches. Just far enough to prevent the linkage from having full range of motion. Instead of replacing the cotter pin I went to hardware store and picked up a pvc coupler cut to length to fill the space then placed big washer on top of the pvc then re-installed the keyway with the two brass spacers. Now it cannot fall due to a cotter pin.. After this I noticed switching control worked better as well. The catch your feeling is the lever that moves into place to engage which helm is being specified. Its a metal bar/block that locks into the keyway. A picture would be helpful but I dont have one handy.