transom mount transducer

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
kgrove70074
Tin star

transom mount transducer

Post by kgrove70074 »

Pulled the boat this summerto paint bottom and put on new anodes. Also decided to mount a transom mount transducer for a new elite 7 lowrance GPS fish finder. I was a little nervous after reading several discussions that said it would not work well on a boat like a marinette because of prop turbulence etc. I located it about halfway between center line and my trim tabs on starboard side and am happy to say it works great! Get some interference above 10 mph but below that the readings are fine. Boat is a single engine with 16x15 prop.
1980 28' FB sedan single engine 360 1.5 reduction drive trans
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: transom mount transducer

Post by Fastjeff »

Mine's been right there for 10 years without a problem.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
cjpd5430
New poster

Post by cjpd5430 »

Thats good to hear my lowrance dsi 5 gold has a transom mount only. Right now I'm only using the gps. I was wondering how it would shoot through the hull but since you have had good luck on the transom i might go that way. How did you mount it? I was thinking about epoxying a piece of Starboard to the transom then screwing into that. Also how is your performance with that bigger prop?
Quality Time
1983 28 Hardtop Express
360 Chrysler
Point Yacht Club / Cedar Point Marina
Lake Erie & SanduskyBay
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

I frilled holes in the transom and screwed it on (siliconing the screws as well).

Bought a used 17 x 15 prop really cheaply, so I sprang for another one--a new one. Has worked fine for years.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington