Fuel System Restoration: Tanks to Carbs...

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: Fuel System Restoration: Tanks to Carbs...

Post by Fastjeff »

And you won't! That's the whole idea.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Fastjeff wrote:When I changed the gages in mine, I deliberately set them up so there was at least 10 gallons of gas in the tanks on 'E'. Jeff
Jeff..for the benefit of those who may want to do the same thing but don't know how, could you share the procedure for adjusting the gauges.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by carl »

BigM
Last edited by carl on Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Sheesh! That's too complicated for me--I'm a simple man.

I put about ten gallons in each tank and messed with the adjustments (angle and location on the rod) until they just said "E".

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by carl »

BigM
Last edited by carl on Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

They have gotta make them run even better!

Jeff
JohnO

Post by JohnO »

I think there is a substantial part of this thread missing in the beginning. Anyone know where it’s at? Ready to jump overboard on a fuel line/filter issue!
John

1984 28' Sedan Flybridge
Father original Captain
ddependo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by ddependo »

John, Don't walk the plank yet. Lots of " been there done that" advice here. Tell us what is happening. Biggest problem I've had has to do with 46 year old tank. I have re plumed from tank to carb and continue to clean tank out every now and then. Tell us what is going on. Do you still have your perco filters and check valves?
Wayne
1973 32 express fly bridge
Chattanooga
"Southern Lady"
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

JohnO wrote:I think there is a substantial part of this thread missing in the beginning. Anyone know where it’s at? Ready to jump overboard on a fuel line/filter issue!
ByGosh, you're right. Looks like a whole page fell into the bit bucket. Looks like you'll have to re-state the fuel filter query. Stuff happens and luckily here, it's rare
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
JohnO

Post by JohnO »

It's been a ride. Multiple symptoms and fixes. My Dad was original owner back in 1984. He's 87 now and still around but in another state. His memory isn't quite there so the history of the boat is slipping away. We brought it over from Michigan to Illinois. It didn't have a lot of use or care in the past 10 years. Mom was ill. Long story short, had to do a lot of engine repairs on the other side of the lake before we brought it over. Everything is original as far as the fuel system. Marina on the other side rebuilt the carbs, replaces perko's and the canister filter. It ran ok, but there has been this nagging issue on the port side where I get it around 2200 and I lose power and it spits and sputters until I give it WOT then it comes back fine. I thought it was an ignition issue at first, Marina replaced cap, rotor, plugs, timed it. Still had issues. I replaced the wires (why not). Distributor was in fair shape but definately showing its age. I decided to replace both distributors with pertronix. After, I took it for a test run. Ran like a champ in the dock until I got it under load. Got to 1200 and it backfires through the carb and dies. Started looking at fuel again. Replaced mechanical pump, still a problem, swapped out both carbs, port side runs bad, stb good. Figured I would start working my way back, replaced a piece of A1 from the pump to the brass shut off. Went to remove the copper line between the filter and the carb and twisted it (dumb move late in the day). Then the issue most have had on this site, what canister filter do I get? Cannot find the marine filters with the inverted flare fitting in the filter. Store talked me into another type with out the inverted flares and said I could use adapters (which I saw on previous posts) he had 2 that he fished out of an old box but did not have all 4. He said and I really thought it would be no problem until over a week of research on line and visiting multiple auto parts places cannot find a 1/2 -20 female inverted flare with a 5/8-18 flare adapter! The only ones everyone seems to have are inverted on the 5/8 side (for brakes). After 2 weeks of frustration, I saw the post on changing the whole thing. Also saw posts from Jeff about putting barbs back on with A1 and double hose clamps. I think this is where I'm leaning. Won't get be back in the lake soon, but I will stop chasing my tail for old setups. I'm hesitant because I am good at replacing stuff, but I don't have a lot of confidence when it comes to retooling. Thanks for the support.
John

1984 28' Sedan Flybridge
Father original Captain