Extened Platform

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Extened Platform

Post by legendlc »

I recently just purchased a 37 double cabin and was wondering if anyone has ever made a extended swim platform for their big M? The big concerns are would it affect the planning or cruising angle of the boat? The wife really really wants an extended platform large enough to make stairs to the aft deck VS the current ladder setup. I personally would see this a plus for our kids as well. But I love the idea of a beach on the transome of the boat lol.
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
shade2u2
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Extened Platform

Post by shade2u2 »

This one was just about posted on the FaceBook Marinette group.
31A35A3C-B62D-4C3D-8A1A-094B5F35A448.jpeg
John
1986 39 Sedan w/Crusader 454 & 1.92 drive.
former - '84 28 Express Hardtop w/single 360 1.5:1 drive (SOLD - now in Uruguay)
Ohio and Muskingum Rivers (Marietta, OH)
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

Beautiful guess I finally found a reason to turn Facebook back on thank you.
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
jeboniface
Tin star

Post by jeboniface »

If you're still looking for an extended platform, I dit it on my 28' and cut a transom gate.

The company is outside Canton, OH. I also used their product for the cabin sole and the flybridge deck.
https://www.plasteak.com/plasteak-recyc ... -platforms

I had it installed by a welder using aluminum angle brackets at the same height as the original. I have no problems with it at any boat angle. I made a cardboard template of my desired size and delivered it to them. (I'm in Youngstown OH). I also bought one of their under mount extension stainless swim ladders. I can set a small folding chair on the platform. It has transformed how we use the boat.

Jim
Attachments
IMG_2380.jpg
IMG_2380.jpg (25.88 KiB) Viewed 17069 times
Last edited by jeboniface on Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Added a foot plus to my old 32 footer, then hung a 9 foot dink and its 60 hp motor from it without problems.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
jeboniface
Tin star

Post by jeboniface »

Another option that I forgot to mention. The platform from a 28 can be used to extend an existing one on a 32. My old one was sitting around at the marina and an owner of a 32 asked to buy it. The curve on the transom side of the 28 platform is an exact match to the back end of the 32 platform. Just a matter of adding some underside supports. I don't know if this applies to a 37.

Jim
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

Just to add to Jim's post, I believe a 28' and 32' share the same beam, where as the 37'-41' are wider by roughly two feet. And asking FastJeff, did you add extra support underneath for your extension? I would like to extend mine for my dink as well.
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

Beautiful boat and that swim platform looks just like what I had hoped for. I will reach out to the company in the link and see what we can come up with. Now to design or find a set of curved steps for the aft so our dog can board the boat. Lol
Thanks for the info.
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY