Source for 5/8" starboard marine anti slip

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
Seanik
Tin star

Source for 5/8" starboard marine anti slip

Post by Seanik »

I am replacing the aft deck on my sons 32 1988 Marinette sedan. I don't want to route 3/4" starboard to fit under the sliding doors.
I cannot seem to find white A/S 5/8" (.6250) thick starboard anywhere.
Any information on where I can buy this product will be appreciated.

Seanik in Erie Pa
Seanik (Jerry)
Presque Isle Bay, Erie Pa
US army veteran
shade2u2
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Source for 5/8" starboard marine anti slip

Post by shade2u2 »

I work for a PVC plastic sheet company and we produce very little 5/8" thick sheet. Standard thicknesses seem to be 1/2" and the 3/4". I'm guessing 1/2" would be plenty thick and strong enough. If I used PVC, I might even try 3/8"...
John
1986 39 Sedan w/Crusader 454 & 1.92 drive.
former - '84 28 Express Hardtop w/single 360 1.5:1 drive (SOLD - now in Uruguay)
Ohio and Muskingum Rivers (Marietta, OH)
Seanik
Tin star

Post by Seanik »

Shade2u2
Thanks for the information,
I did a little research on PVC and it seems it doesn't hold up well in direct sunlight, also concerned about it's strength especially in 1/2" thickness.
I don't plan to cover the aft deck with anything so it will be exposed to the outside.

Seanik
Seanik (Jerry)
US army veteran
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

I am very happy having aluminum on my deck. Can't find the pictures I have of the deck, but you can see some of it here. Mine is one big piece which makes it hard to remove, so I would recommend installing it in a couple of pieces.
Attachments
photo 3.JPG
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

I too went the aluminum way, screwing it down on the existing plywood deck. A few spots were rotted and needed replacement, so I used 1/2 inch exterior plywood with a shim to get the surface level. I sealed all around the perimeter with caulking to keep the wood below dry. A rug went on top of that, to be replaced every few years.

We were very pleased with the results, and I neve3r had to mess with it again.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Seanik
Tin star

Post by Seanik »

Thanks for the replies,
We thought about aluminum but only if we could buy the complete and insulated deck that was offered until recently by Marinette, I understand health issues have made this not available. We are searching for 5/8" starboard, I try to keep any restoration as original as possible and may cover whatever decking is used with the original style nautalex, I still have a roll of it.
Seanik (Jerry)
US army veteran
pbaker32s

Post by pbaker32s »

I got online and was able to order some 5/8 marine grade plywood from Menards . And had it shipped to a local store..Covered it with a newer pattern nautolex ..it lasted 30 + years the first time sitting outside with only a Bimini top up sometimes.. good enough for me..I will never have to deal with it again . Everything fit like it was supposed to, under the doors, all the trim went back perfect. Looked fantastic upon completion. If I had to do another one I would do it the same way.
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

My choice for look good, very low maintenance, easy to cut, last forever material is Plasteak (akron, OH) with a plastic sheet underlay for added rigidness (Plasteak planks themselves flex across an open span). I used it only for bow pulpit and was going to replace back deck with it but sold the boat before I got to the project.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD