Barnaclerid and other Copper Ion Systems

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
Bud719
Tin star

Barnaclerid and other Copper Ion Systems

Post by Bud719 »

Ok - On the Chesapeake bay, I am seriously tired of dealing with barnacles, weed, slime, and other things that attach to my hull. I have been getting this '90 32' Marinette painted with Interlux Trilux EVERY YEAR! since 1999 -- doesn't work on the South river.

HAS ANY ONE INVESTIGATED or used the Barnaclerid copper ion system from Australia? (Creates copper Ions, not a sonic system).

Seems to work in small areas, like energy plant cooling systems.

Many plastic boats swear by it.

LET ME KNOW -- costs about $1500 or so for my boat.

Does it:
Reduce barnacles?
Cause Corrosion?

Thanks much!

Bud
Bud
1990 Marinette 32 Sedan “Mostly Harmless”
Twin Chrysler 360s RWC
Westerbeke 6.5 KW
Beard’s Creek, South River,
Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
jralbert
Site Admin

Re: Barnaclerid and other Copper Ion Systems

Post by jralbert »

First question is whether it's safe for use on aluminum hulls. And is the $1,500 a one time charge. Are there Maintenance costs?? And if criteers DO grow, is there a warranty and just how good is that warranty?
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: Barnaclerid and other Copper Ion Systems

Post by Fastjeff »

"I feel your pain!" (Bill you-know-who)

Been there, done that. Got so frustrated with the sluggish performance of my old 32 footer (on a trip) that I scrapped the ENTIRE bottom with a 1 1/2 inch wide putty knife! Swallowed gallons of water in the process, but the performance was gratifyingly back.

Realistically, you're in one of the worst areas for bottom crapola to grow--where fresh and salt water meet. The only solution is to run the boat far more often--even if it's only a few miles--to scrub her clean.

My buddy at Fairlee Creek has to anchor his Chlorox Bottle 38 footer in shallow water and scrub her down on a regular basis. That's boating on the Bay.

My point is that there's no magic bullet to keep those critters and etc away. Sorry.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington