Lenco vs. Bennett Tabs

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
ericinga
Aluminum Star

Lenco vs. Bennett Tabs

Post by ericinga »

Looking at trim tabs for the 28'. I've seen the installation of the Bennett and the Lenco trim tabs. Most boats seen to have Bennett systems. However, the boat owners with Lenco tabs rave about the quick response and flawless performance.

My thoughts:
- Lenco is a much cleaner install. Simpler system in terms of number of components and power transfer e.g. completely electric.
- Bennett has two power systems - electric to the hydraulic pump and then hydraulic pressure to the actuators. More parts to install. However, it is the tried and true trim tab kit.

Price difference is $100. The Lenco is $787 with the switch and control unit. The Bennett kit is $687.

Any thoughts?

Eric
Eric Spies
1989 32 SDFB
Twin 318s
Lake Lanier, GA
Marinette Boat
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: Lenco vs. Bennett Tabs

Post by Fastjeff »

I use a Lenco cylinder on my dink boat. They work nice (and they are fast) but you'd be surprised how weak the operating mechanism inside is. I killed one (my fault) and, being an anal engineer, had to dissect it, to see how they work. One, tiny ball bearing about 1/8 inch in diameter is all that does the 'pushing' through a ball screw mechanism to extend it.

Kinda weak, in my professional opinion. Still, they do work

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington