transom gate and swim platform

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: transom gate and swim platform

Post by bcassedy »

Jeboniface,

Thanks for posting the pics. Nice work and great detail. Did you need to special order the aluminum channel across the top of the gate?

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
jeboniface
Tin star

Post by jeboniface »

bcassedy wrote:Jeboniface,

Thanks for posting the pics. Nice work and great detail. Did you need to special order the aluminum channel across the top of the gate?

Bill
I carefully removed the original channel and simply cut it with a hacksaw and reinstalled it. The gate is 1/2 in. thick and the transom is just under 1/2 in so it slipped right on. one screw and one snap on the back edge holds it in place.

@metalhead - The plastic is 1/2 in thick and not starboard. It has a slightly textured surface and is slightly translucent. Some light goes through. I bought it at a local plastics manufacturer, the same place that made me new smoked flybridge wind deflectors. I don't recall what it's called but it's identical to the plastic cutting boards you can buy anywhere. In hindsight I should have gone with starboard. I like the texture. The piece on the deck doesn't get slick when it's wet.
CallMeCaptain87
New poster

Post by CallMeCaptain87 »

Jeboniface,

Did you mount the swim platform at the same height above the water line as the original or did you raise it at all? Planning on building one for the 37 out of aluminum. Haven't decided where to locate it yet.
1990 37' Marquis
Twin 454
Louisville, KY
jeboniface
Tin star

Post by jeboniface »

CallMeCaptain87 wrote:Jeboniface,

Did you mount the swim platform at the same height above the water line as the original or did you raise it at all? Planning on building one for the 37 out of aluminum. Haven't decided where to locate it yet.

It's at the same height. As stated before, I was concerned that at that height it might hit the water when coming up on plane but it doesn't. As an added bonus, it provides a little insulation to the exhaust note.
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bill »

BigM
If anyone is interested,and has face book. I posted some pictures of a 1991 34' Marquis with a transom door installed by the factory on the Marinette site.
bill
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill