Iron fittings in hull......

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
ericinga
Aluminum Star

Iron fittings in hull......

Post by ericinga »

So, there's a 28' Sedan docked astern of our boat. The owner uses the boat casually, maybe once a month. He's a nice guy and has made many expensive cosmetic improvements to the boat over the last two years. Obviously, I like Marinettes and have kept an eye on it. There is always something to learn from someone elses boat.

This past Thursday, the boat had a foot of water in the aft bilge and the swim platform was submerged. I called the marina to report it. They called the guy and he came out out the next day. He used a 120V pump from HD to empty the bilge. It appears both bilge pumps burned out. There was nothing obvious wrong in the aft bilge and he was reluctant to open the engine hatches in the salon. The wife and I were leaving for a weekend cruise so I offered to help him out on Sunday.

I caught up with him today and he showed me the t-junction attached to the starboard seacock. There "was" an iron fitting used between the seacock and t-junction. The threads had rusted off and the fitting easily pulled out of the seacock. Looks like the PO cobbled together quite a few changes to the major systems. There is a steel thru hull fitting along the keel line just forward of the rudders. I offered to help fix it this next weekend after identifying the correct parts.

http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/erici ... 0.jpg.html

His trailer is 30 minutes away (60 minutes round trip) and he could have pulled the boat out today. I offered to help him pull it out today and verify the seaworthiness. He declined.

I checked my seacock valve and fittings and them to be bronze. Never hurts to look.

Eric
Eric Spies
1989 32 SDFB
Twin 318s
Lake Lanier, GA
Marinette Boat