paint

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
ddependo
Royal Aluminum Star

paint

Post by ddependo »

Getting quotes to paint my topside. One marina suggested for aluminum to use flat white.
what do you all think. Don't think I ever saw one flat white.
Wayne
1973 32 express fly bridge
Chattanooga
"Southern Lady"
honestcharlie56
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: paint

Post by honestcharlie56 »

haha mine is flat white, because its 27 years old.
1990 Marinette 32 Sedan Flybridge "Hubba" Lake Charles, LA
Twin Chrysler 318's
TinChips
Tin star

Post by TinChips »

I prefer a gloss white myself but others will disagree. I like the way it shines. Traditionally, many Marinette repaints have been done in two part paint like Awlgrip or Imron. But in the last couple of years there is a newer generation paint called Quantum paint by EMC2. http://quantumpaint.com/. They claim the engineering is way ahead of the traditional coating. Personally I am a one part roll and tip painter (used Toplac,but not available anymore)

Hope this helps.
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Can't figure the connection between flat paint and aluminum. BUT..there's a big but....for the foredeck (not sides), it is a good idea to use flat or at least flatter coating to cut down on glare. It's hard enough to see ahead with water reflecting light at all angles. Gloss on the foredeck doesn't help so keep that in mind. Cosmetically, you don't lose anything with flat in front of you while behind and on the sides it's gloss which polishes well and just feels like it is harder and more durable. Whether it is actually more durable I could not say but the paint mfr can
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Post by Tuggle »

Painting mine as we speak, using Rustolem Top Side Gloss White, sanded with 120, wiped down with alcohol then rolled. Going to do the stripes in navy blue this weekend. So far everything has gone well, have even had several complements, not surprising as dull as it was.
"Deplorable", 1975 32' Express, Twin 318's, Raw Water Cooled, Lake Lanier, Ga.
carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by carl »

BigM
Last edited by carl on Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Gloss finishes are easier to keep clean, but I agree on that glare issue. My boat was run from the lower helm and the glare coming from that cabin roof could be really troublesome. Nearly painted it some dull color, like they did on WW II bombers (in front of the windshields).

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington