Hull Preparation & Painting

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Hull Preparation & Painting

Post by bcassedy »

Looks great!! Nice job!
I've got mine sanded down (removed loose bottom paint) and next will be application of 2 coats of new bottom paint - Interlux's Micron CF. 1st coat to be white (lets me ensure I don't miss any spots painting over old Micro 33's black coat), and then a 2nd coat (black, to ensure I don't miss / spread too thin over the 1st white coat).

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Pls note that coating the hull must take place within hours of sanding to bare metal. Letting the bare metal sit even overnight isn't a good move because aluminum very quickly oxidizes, coats itself to prevent corrosion. That coating interferes with the ability of paint to stay attached. so, if time goes by on this project you should sand lightly just before putting on the first coat of primer.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
shade2u2
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by shade2u2 »

As a follow up to this post... Thank you all for the help.
I ended up sanding a few spots and painted with Interlux 2000E. I sanded and painted the rudder with 2000E also.
Then I put 3 to 4 coats of Interlux Trilux 33 black on the bottom.
I cleaned up the anodes and added a couple small anode disks to see how they do.
After pics...
Attachments
zTrimTabStarboard.jpg
zStern.jpg
zRudderPropShaft.jpg
zKeel.jpg
zBowKeel.jpg
Last edited by shade2u2 on Tue May 30, 2017 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
1986 39 Sedan w/Crusader 454 & 1.92 drive.
former - '84 28 Express Hardtop w/single 360 1.5:1 drive (SOLD - now in Uruguay)
Ohio and Muskingum Rivers (Marietta, OH)
shade2u2
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by shade2u2 »

Then here she is in the water...
Attachments
zInWater.jpg
John
1986 39 Sedan w/Crusader 454 & 1.92 drive.
former - '84 28 Express Hardtop w/single 360 1.5:1 drive (SOLD - now in Uruguay)
Ohio and Muskingum Rivers (Marietta, OH)
yooper
Aluminum Star

Post by yooper »

I used Blue Water Shelter Island Plus on the bottom of my 32'. It is ablative and went on smooth. I lightly sanded with a small orbital sander. Whenever I broke through to bare aluminum I immediately sprayed with a can of acid etch primer. I had a real rough walk around deck area on the topside. Paint and filler was cracking. I heavily sanded the deck and sprayed the acid etch primer when I broke through. I used the e20000 on the deck area. The first application had too much of the special thinner and it melted the old paint back to liquid. I cut back on the thinner and it kind of merged with the old factory paint. The paint has held up well.