2x 1973 28 Express - Single 318
New electrical panels, water system and velvet drive
Miami FL & Catawba OH
carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Aft Deck Restoration

Post by carl »

BigM
Last edited by carl on Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
honestcharlie56
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by honestcharlie56 »

Carl,

I'm happy to see my 1990 sister ship getting love. Are you doing this wet slipped or is your boat on the hard? I'll be draining my tanks in the next couple weeks in prep for the motors to go back in.
1990 Marinette 32 Sedan Flybridge "Hubba" Lake Charles, LA
Twin Chrysler 318's
carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by carl »

BigM
Last edited by carl on Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
bruceket
New poster

Post by bruceket »

I understand the beautiful work many of you are doing in replacing the aft decks of your boats. I saw that the OEM thickness of the plywood was 5/8". Is this right? I used 1/2" as a temporary overlay (so I wouldn't fall through). It really moves underfoot. 3/4" feels right to me but will it fit under the cockpit sides. Seems like I read that there was a 1/2" behind the sides. Thoughts? Thanks,Bruce
carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by carl »

BigM
Last edited by carl on Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bill »

BigM
I like your patch on top of the aluminum starboard fuel tank. :lol:
Thanks for posting all the great photos. :)
Real labor of love there. :mrgreen:
bill
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
SullivanBeara
New poster

Post by SullivanBeara »

I assume the plastic decking you refer to is high density polyethylene (HDPE), brand name King Starboard. I am considering using this product to replace my aft, plywood deck. The deck sits in an aluminum channel that runs from the cabin wall back along the port,starboard and stern, Therefore the deck could only move forward, the channel is 5/8"deep and 3/4 high.The existing plywood is 5/8 and HDPE does not seem to be available in that thickness, 1/2 or 3/4.
The plywood was held to the stringers using screws with washers about 1 inch in diameter. The screws are angled into the plywood from underneath and the washers catch the edge of the stringer. This system held tight for as long as it took the wood to rot at the rear drains, which I believe was a good many years.
So my concerns are potential movement, sagging of the 1/2 inch HDPE ( particularly with a hot engine below) and weight. HDPE is listed as weighing 2.5 pounds per square foot, which may be heavy enough to throw the boats trim off.
I would appreciate any suggestions, or notice of any unforeseen hazards, as the Lake Erie season is fast approaching.
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

SullivanBeara wrote: The plywood was held to the stringers using screws with washers about 1 inch in diameter. The screws are angled into the plywood from underneath and the washers catch the edge of the stringer. This system held tight for as long as it took the wood to rot at the rear drains, which I believe was a good many years. So my concerns are potential movement, sagging of the 1/2 inch HDPE ( particularly with a hot engine below) and weight. HDPE is listed as weighing 2.5 pounds per square foot, which may be heavy enough to throw the boats trim off.
I never took the time in more than 15 yrs of ownership to look up at how the rear deck was secured. Thanks for describing it. I always thought the deck was screwed thru holes drilled in the aluminum stringers themselves which would have added time ($) to the cost of manufacturing. Clever boogers.

I'm a big fan of using a plastic material for the decking. Easy to maintain and install. At the edges, if you need to fill space, consider a long running shim underneath or a filler piece above. You can fight sagging by installing a few extra stringers. PT wood may do the job. I was about to face replacing the deck but sold the boat before that had to be done. I would have used Plasteak which I used very successfully to replace the teak bowsprit. I used a solid plastic underlayment that the mfr recommended. By the way, I used a scrap piece of that plasteak in my garden. More than 25 yrs later, it shows no sign of wear (wish I could say the same for myself!)
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
bruceket
New poster

Post by bruceket »

Is the original 5/8" plywood springy?