Rough seas

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
fighterpilot
Tin star

Re: Rough seas

Post by fighterpilot »

The following sea action, with but 2 foot seas, is of interest. Somewhat unexpected, but, was that with the 32 footer? Wonder how the 37 footer does? We can end up with those conditions for as many as 24 miles at a time with our trip to the Gulf and out for fishing.
railrunner04
Tin star

Post by railrunner04 »

2 to 3 footers all day in the 32ft 4 to 6 is a bit dicey then again most of my experience has been on lake erie and the waves out there are not typical.
Quartering seas off the stern aka surfing may cause you to make a mess in your pants if you get a little over zealous with the wheel other than that they are solid boats. I do think the larger/later models do handle the waves better the increased deadrise helps alot not to mention the increase in beam all in all i wouldent have any other boat on the great lakes IMO :)
Moby Rick
FYC grosse ile mich
32ft F/B express
T/318 Chrysler marine
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

I recall a day on the Chesapeake where waves where water was flowing over the windshield several inches thick (or it seemed to be). Looking aft (from the lower helm--glad I was not 'up there') I could see a cascade of water flowing down off the bimini. Yet on she plowed, on plane, and handled it well. Had my doubts that my dink boat hanging off the stern would still be there, but she survived as well.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
martindesign
Aluminum Star

Post by martindesign »

Love all the stories guys. Javalin390, I remember the 2015 rendezvous. Our Lil 32 was still on land getting new rudders but that weekend was brutal. It was all of 12' waves. Its reassuring that the general consensus is the BigM are up to the task. I've never felt unsafe except caught in big following seas which gave me a pucker factor of about 9.2
Machanic, fabricator, carpenter, plumber, electrician, designer, hotrod builder and glutton for punishment. :ugeek: current boat; 1969 Marinette 32 express bridge 440's
Catawba Oh
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

I suspect more than your face was puckered!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
honestcharlie56
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by honestcharlie56 »

Jeff, clearly more than the face. Upon reviewing the scale, the face pucker range is 0.0-3.9. A factor of 9.2 is clearly far above that.
1990 Marinette 32 Sedan Flybridge "Hubba" Lake Charles, LA
Twin Chrysler 318's
bruceket
New poster

Post by bruceket »

Agree with squirrelly behavior in following/quartering seas. 2-4 ft in the Chesapeake kept me busy on the throttles. Steering alone didn't work. No danger though. Head seas are fine. Overall very pleased with my M's handling.
martindesign
Aluminum Star

Post by martindesign »

Ya I was not talking about my face. Lol
Machanic, fabricator, carpenter, plumber, electrician, designer, hotrod builder and glutton for punishment. :ugeek: current boat; 1969 Marinette 32 express bridge 440's
Catawba Oh