Broken steering cable

Things that are of general interest.
Butchel
Tin star

Broken steering cable

Post by Butchel »

This old boat has been sorely neglected. The threaded stud on the rudder end of the lower helm steering cable snapped because the clevis (threaded yoke) was rust frozen to the rudder control lever and wouldn't articulate. The push-pull cable (Morse?) bears the number M0646 on the rotary spool end. The sliding tube at the rudder end has the number "20" on it. I have had no luck finding a replacement. Also, I had to chop the clevis to pieces to remove it and need to replace it also. I am thinking to attempt to splice weld a piece of threaded stud onto the end of the broken one and just replace the clevis (threaded yoke.) Any suggestions would be well received and greatly appreciated. Butch
honestcharlie56
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Broken steering cable

Post by honestcharlie56 »

time to go hydraulic......
1990 Marinette 32 Sedan Flybridge "Hubba" Lake Charles, LA
Twin Chrysler 318's
Butchel
Tin star

Post by Butchel »

Is it possible to go hydraulic on the lower steering station and stay mechanical on the upper steering station? Who makes the conversion kit?
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

No... You must covert both. If I still have mine when the time comes I am going to HD for sure.

safe boating,
dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
honestcharlie56
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by honestcharlie56 »

Hydraulic is the only way to go imho. Like everything else involved in boating, it costs money though!!!!
1990 Marinette 32 Sedan Flybridge "Hubba" Lake Charles, LA
Twin Chrysler 318's
Butchel
Tin star

Post by Butchel »

Really? Money? Who'd ever thought? Thanks for the great information.
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Broken steering cable

Post by Busia »

I had to do the same. I also replaced Steermaster with Teleflex. It was the fastest cheapest way to go. Had to make an adapter for the cable end but now parts are available (they use them on outboards) and I can replace the whole system for $200.But I only have one helm.
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
Butchel
Tin star

Post by Butchel »

Thanks Busia. At last a tiny ray of hope! What is Steermaster? Is my cable a Steermaster cable? I assumed the M0646 meant "Morse." Which Teleflex cable worked for you? In the online pictures, the Teleflex cable has a small eye on the rudder end. How do I get from that to the 1/2" diameter pin hole in the rudder lever? What part is available? Where can I get this stuff?
My father and brother are also IBEW. God's country? Texans make that same claim. God must have more than one country.
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by EWRice »

My boat also has the Steermaster setup using outboard style cables. Inexpensive and works good. Not as good as hydraulic, but good enough to be safe.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

Butchel wrote:Thanks Busia. At last a tiny ray of hope! What is Steermaster? Is my cable a Steermaster cable? I assumed the M0646 meant "Morse." Which Teleflex cable worked for you? In the online pictures, the Teleflex cable has a small eye on the rudder end. How do I get from that to the 1/2" diameter pin hole in the rudder lever? What part is available? Where can I get this stuff?
My father and brother are also IBEW. God's country? Texans make that same claim. God must have more than one country.

Steermaster is what the factory used, and they are out of business. ( Glen-L sailboat company has a few parts, but they are expensive and you would be just patching up an old system) Don't know what brand you have now, might find a name on the gearbox. I measured from the wheel to the rudder and dealer here had one on the shelf. You can be a little long, no problem. you don't want to stretch trying to make one that is short fit. I replaced the cable and the gearbox (about $200) Put the old wheel on. Had to modify the mount, but nothing drastic. The Teleflex is set up for outboards. It has a flattened end with a bolt hole through it. I needed to attach a fork that goes to the rudder linkage. Made an adaptor from aluminum 1 inch round stock. (square would work too) Drilled 3/8 inch hole for a bolt to go through it and stick out the end. The fork threaded onto the bolt. Drilled 5/8 inch hole about half way down. Grind the hex head down on the bolt so it fits down this hole. Then the 5/8 hole will slide over the new cable end and you drill a hole sideways to put a bolt through the adaptor and the hole in the cable end. 907-617-7832 if you have questions.

We laugh at Texans up here. Wife lived in Texas for 20 years. Gets upset how we pronounce it. Here it is called Texass.

...proof this is Gods country..
Sherry @ 14K.jpg
Sherry @ 14K.jpg (17.48 KiB) Viewed 9936 times
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P