need a recommendation on mechanic near lake lanier

Things that are of general interest.
suthendude
New poster

need a recommendation on mechanic near lake lanier

Post by suthendude »

hi all.
i'm looking for a recommendation on a mechanic who is familiar with marinette boats and is reputable hopefully in the lake lanier area. i have fair do-it-your-self skills, but need a little help getting her running. the boat has not been started in a couple years and i'm concerned about the condition of the engine. i may need a rebuild. i'm pretty sure it needs a solenoid and not sure what else.i don't know. one mechanic told me the engine was "tired" whatever that means, and i'm just not comfortable turning her over to him. any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks guys
buford, ga
Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Re: need a recommendation on mechanic near lake lanier

Post by Tuggle »

In the same boat, when I bought mine it had run only once in three years, although it did crank and ran rather well I've had nothing but problems with it ever sense. The dilemma I currently face is redo the heads on the starboard engine or bite the bullet and re-power. The re-power option is what I'm leaning towards, everything done so far can be applied to fresh engines, carbs and exhaust manifolds. Back to your question about a mechanic I've been using Tony Cato over at Aqualand, 770-596-9639, he seems to have good inboard and Chrysler knowledge, straight shooter. Pull your plugs spray the cylinders with Marvel Mystery Oil or WD-40, liberal amount, let it sit over night, hang a towel over the engine turn it over, put the plugs back in and hope it cranks.
"Deplorable", 1975 32' Express, Twin 318's, Raw Water Cooled, Lake Lanier, Ga.