Flying Bridge Restoration

Things that are of general interest.
carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Flying Bridge Restoration

Post by carl »

BigM
Last edited by carl on Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:01 am, edited 4 times in total.
boattown

Re: Flying Bridge Restoration

Post by boattown »

Me too. I added alarms for exhaust temp, oil pressure and water temp. I decided to use Faria gauges on white quarter inch mat acrylic. I still need to fill in the etched labels so they are readable.

I'm documenting the total rehab of a 32 Sedan Flybridge here: https://1978marinette32.wordpress.com
Attachments
img_9036.jpg
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

Interesting....great minds must think alike. I pulled my flybridge dash this winter for restoration. Mine is a 1975 37' sedan flybridge and the dash is the original 1/8" decorative plywood that, after 40+ years of rain & sun, the veneer is peeling apart. The gauges are very faded too (mine are Stewart/Warner's) I'm glad you fellas posted yours, as I am trying to decide a good material to replaced the plywood dash. I had thought about the acrylic, it looks very nice, but was thinking something bold, like carbon fiber. Just not sure where to buy such pieces of stock to make it out of. Anyone have an idea where to purchase the material?
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

Love your web page, Boattown ! Awesome
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
yooper
Aluminum Star

Post by yooper »

My 1988 32' flybridge sat out in the weather for years. The project boat was low hours and everything inside was like new. The flybridge electronics and gauges had to be gone through. I made a plywood template of the flybridge cutouts and moved into the shop. The wires and guages came out easily and I mounted them to the plywood template. I hooked a test light to a 12v power supply, got a good double crimper and started cleaning or replacing the connectors. I found new breaker switches and starter switches. I had to replace a few gauges and breakers. Correct starter switches were harder to find. I wanted brand new starter circuts. Also had to replace horns, antenna, light and Stereo speakers. Working inside on a bench helped get though it efficiently.
yooper
Aluminum Star

Carbon fiber effect

Post by yooper »

I just watched a wheeler-dealer episode about restoring a land rover. They took out dashboard panels which we painted a horrible bright blue by a prior owner. They took them to one of those little english specialty shops that sanded them and coated the parts with a film that gave the parts a perfect carbon fiber effect. All I remember is they cut a piece of film with the carbon effect printed on it and floated it in a shallow water tank. They sprayed something on the film and dropped the part through it. When they pulled it out it looked like it was made out of carbon fiber. Mike the show host said it was inexpensive.

This is a home system. http://www.mydipkitstore.com/

Here is another system that looks like something I would totally screw up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LhMxcHUKAw
carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by carl »

BigM
Last edited by carl on Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by carl »

BigM
Last edited by carl on Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wilfred
Tin star

Post by Wilfred »

How was/is the flybridge attached?
How much do you estimate the flybridge weighs?
W. J. Brockman
1984 Marinette Express Bridge
Twin 318s 235 hp
Bolles Harbor, Michigan
carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by carl »

BigM
Last edited by carl on Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.