Exhaust in the cabin

Things that are of general interest.
Ryan
Tin star

Exhaust in the cabin

Post by Ryan »

I have been searching for an exhaust leak all summer and have come up with nothing. When I run the boat there is a strong exhaust smell in the cabin and the CO detector goes off if I do not have the forward hatch open. I had a mechanic come out to see what he could find he he is telling me the exhaust is coming back in thru the salon doors (old station wagon effect). Does anyone else have this problem? Does everyone cruise with their salon sliding doors closed? I have a 32 sedan.
1986 32' Sedan
Chrysler 360's
Cleveland, Ohio
jralbert
Site Admin

Re: Exhaust in the cabin

Post by jralbert »

Does riding with salon doors closed cure the problem in the cabin? If it does, mechanic may be correct and riding with forward air source is the fix. That doesn't do much good on a chilly or rainy day.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Ryan
Tin star

Post by Ryan »

I don't think I have ever run with the doors closed. Even if it's raining my cockpit canopy top keeps the rain out. I do run with my blower on because I always thought the leak was coming from the exhaust in the engine room. I'm on Lake Erie so if it is anything bigger then 3' waves I need to keep the forward hatch and galley windows closed due to spray. This is a well respected mechanic so I want to trust him but I'm convinced it has to be something else.
1986 32' Sedan
Chrysler 360's
Cleveland, Ohio
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

Ryan,
Back on the old forum one of the members had a set of plans drawn up for screen inserts for the front windows. I made one for the starboard window (and some day I'll get around to the port side). This is a "fair weather" insert and it gives a great feeling of additional space. He also had a set of plans for a foul weather insert that also fit in the front window. This used Plexiglas side panels and a shorter front panel (I think the fair weather one is more than 10" tall while the foul weather one is about 4". Either would allow for an air stream to go thru and potentially provide enough counter air pressure to keep any exhaust fumes out of the salon area. May not be ideal in 3' waves, but outside of that you'd have airflow both fair and foul.

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by EWRice »

It makes sense. I have an express that is all open around the lower helm. I always notice there is an exhaust smell at certain speeds under the hardtop. Never worried about it because it comes and goes. Never had an issue in the cabin, but that's a whole different layout.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
ddependo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by ddependo »

I run with my port hole windows open but I have "phifetexb plus" material in the screens. Lets air in but keeps 99 percent water out. I don't have big water in Tennessee river like you have but may work for you.
I will send you a sample if you like. Product comes from Sailrite.
Wayne
1973 32 express fly bridge
Chattanooga
"Southern Lady"
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

Very common when running with wind on the stern. I close my saloon door or open the front windows. The CO detectors are very sensivive.

Not much of concern if your aft deck bim is dot deployed. (CO gets trapped ) Remember if it is anyone sitting on the aft deck while running down wind will be subject to increased CO levels!

safe boating,

dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
dieselpuller
New poster

Post by dieselpuller »

I would be interested in seeing your screen for the front windows Bill.
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

I'll be going down to the boat Thursday after work (15 months till I can afford to retire!!! :shock: ) Will take some pics and post them and dimensional drawings on Saturday.

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
newendeavor
Tin star

Post by newendeavor »

I had a 32 Sedan for 12 years and never noticed the problem, but always had fwd port holes or hatch open. Only a Following Sea/Tail wind was a problem.
New Endeavor
1991 41ft Aft Cabin
Louisville,Ohio River