Sunken 32`

Things that are of general interest.
honestcharlie56
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Sunken 32`

Post by honestcharlie56 »

Well we are on to Chapter 2 of Sunken 32. We pulled her a couple weeks ago for her yearly power wash and she was an absolute mess. Long story short.....we have now had the hull Dustless Blasted to bare aluminum and will be starting the welding/primer/paint process tomorrow.
1990 Marinette 32 Sedan Flybridge "Hubba" Lake Charles, LA
Twin Chrysler 318's
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Point to consider that you may have planned for - I Hope. Once taken down to bare aluminimum you must prime the hull asap.within hours. a day is too late because it begins to skin coat almost immed which means paint won't stick. So, it appears you have work to do (welding) ..but before applying any paint, re-sand --light sanding will be fine --everything you need to paint over. good luck
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
honestcharlie56
Royal Aluminum Star

It's in the marinas hands now. They scheduled blasting for sunday, welder for monday (who didn't show today), so who knows whats going to happen. The two brothers who own the shipyard are very knowledgeable and really do quality work, so I sure hope they do some prep work before painting. That being said, blasting took 7.5 hours....so how are you supposed to get paint on a hull after 7.5 hours of blasting and then an hour of soap and water wash?
Twin Chrysler 318's
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

I hate to say this, but aluminum corrodes INSTANTLY when sanded (ie: you can't paint it fast enough!)

Don't believe it? Then try this little test. It's called the Guedian Brothers Technique. To wit:

Mix up some clear epoxy, then "wet sand" some bare aluminum with it using coarse sandpaper. You'll immediately see the clear epoxy turn grey, as the Al Ox layer is being mechanically removed. This is a really good way to make sure paint will adhere, but kinda impractical for a 3 foot boat like this!

What to do, what to do... Paint companies sell an etching primer (Alidon?) with phosphoric acid that removes the oxide layer and temporarily adds a film that accepts paint with good adhesion. After that comes the epoxy barrier coats, then the anti-fouling. Did my old boat that way and the paint never came off (in over 11 years).

Good luck!

Jeff

PS: Right happy I trailer now.
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

honestcharlie56 wrote: blasting took 7.5 hours....so how are you supposed to get paint on a hull after 7.5 hours of blasting and then an hour of soap and water wash?
Easy..you tell the marina to be damn sure to have someone on hand when the blasting ends and get a coat of primer on there and and then. NOT the next day. Sorry to be so insistent in tone. But you will be totally screwed otherwise.
Actually, that is an exaggeration. You will not be totally screwed..the paint will fall off and because it's an aluminum boat that will skin over quickly when the paint falls off and is resistant to rusting anyway, it will last a long time but will get lots of growth and critters and look ugly.But the boat won't rot.
You're an M guy - we love ya and don't want to see unnecessary consequences. Would love to hear what marina says

(I had blast/paint same day experience/marina was totally onboard
-joel-
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

I sand blasted where I was going to weld. Did all the welding then blasted the rest. Lightly blast the exposed aluminum again. Yes, you can get metal etching primer with phosphoric acid in it. Have used it on airplanes, it works very well.
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
honestcharlie56
Royal Aluminum Star

I am quite aware of aluminum oxidizing the second its exposed to atmosphere. Like I said, its in the ship yards hands. We discussed etching primers and acid washes etc. I guess I'm more interested in the whole "do it the exact moment the blasting is done". Its literally impossible. The blasting process took 7.5 hours. Once its done it literally took two soap washes to clean the surface of all glass media. I'm not sure you can get away with not using an etching primer or an acid.
Twin Chrysler 318's
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

I don't think "the minute after" is a required standard..but certainly within a few hours or less. Your best guide: your paint mfr's tech people.
I do think priming the next day is too long a wait. IMHO
-joel-
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

All of you Marinetters out there ought to try the Gudian Brothers Test I described above. All you need is a piece of scrap aluminum, some cheapo clear epoxy, and some coarse sandpaper. The results are stunning the first time you see it, and extremely educational!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
honestcharlie56
Royal Aluminum Star

If I get a spare minute I will, it sounds interesting....and will probably make my insomnia much worse concerning this paint job!!
Twin Chrysler 318's