Could we collect prop, shafts and other parts specs and info here ??

Things that are of general interest.
DougDoty
Tin star

Could we collect prop, shafts and other parts specs and info here ??

Post by DougDoty »

My thinking comes from personal experience and reading the posts of others that are wanting specs on their prop shafts so that they may order in advance and have them available for a pull out day so that they may make an in and out deal of it. I have in the past ordered them from John and he knew these #'s but since he is seemingly no longer available I personally think it suitable to collect them here for the use by our members.

In order to determine if there is any objection to do so I will initially refrain from posting any specs until we have had some discussion about the concept first. I do not want to step on any toes here, just make the owning and caring for our boats a bit easier. I would like to have specs on parts and the performance and fuel flows like used to be available on the Marinette site.

It was once suggested that we could list these types of things in our signatures and thus why mine has contained it for some time.

What is the collective thought of this group and our Moderators about us collecting some data about our boats and the parts that keep them alive since many have to be custom made these days. I for one have spent a size-able sum to have rub rail made and sold it online since I had to buy 10x more than I needed and it was not otherwise available so you know where and why I am in favor....
1984 39 Marinette Sedan, " LIBERTY ONE " Warsaw KY, 440 chryslers, Westerbeke 9.0 kw , 1 3/8" shafts 93 1/4" long and 19x22 dyna quads or, 19x20 DQX's 38.5 MPH GPS best.
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Could we collect prop, shafts and other parts specs and info here ??

Post by bcassedy »

Totally agree with the concept. Question will be how to organize it so that it's readily accessible for the user community.
Possibly the creation of a new thread under Vendors? Completely new section as parts will run the gamut of engines / your mentioned rub rails / paint / etc? Post a thread under overall category with sub threads within: Category: Engines & Trannies || Sub Category: Electrical (covering electrical parts such as alternators / oil pressure switches / senders, and such || Sub Category (to main Engines & Trannies?): Fuel systems.

With a breakdown at this level, it would be a bit cumbersome to add to, but when it comes time to find something , a little burrowing would yield just the right listing.

The above is why the Admiral hates my computer... She has to dig thru a series of folders/sub-folders which detail a certain subject branching off to other sub-subjects. But then ... "Viola" there's the info vs one huge folder with tons of listings, whether relative or not. :-]

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

I'll volunteer my 'extensive' info file (on 32 sedans with 360s and 1 1/4 shafts).

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

Concept is sound. Not a problem creating the topic and archive. The tough part is administration. The DATA would need to be funneled to an Administrator/Moderator of the topic. The topic would need to be locked to maintain integrity of the data. If by accident a specification for example of a shaft length was accidently changed (or on purpose) that would make someone who had shafts made very unhappy!

It would take some time and without input of course if will be of little value.

There is a lot of info scattered around now that would be time consuming rounding it up and verifying?

dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Above my pay grade (PC experience).

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
DougDoty
Tin star

Post by DougDoty »

All good points, , I may take it on later this summer as I am semi retiring into a small business with added screen time and not so hectic as my previous life. I just think it would be a good resource for us Big M'er's
1984 39 Marinette Sedan, " LIBERTY ONE " Warsaw KY, 440 chryslers, Westerbeke 9.0 kw , 1 3/8" shafts 93 1/4" long and 19x22 dyna quads or, 19x20 DQX's 38.5 MPH GPS best.
HappyHooker
New poster

Post by HappyHooker »

anybody know the lenght for a 1 1/4 shaft for a 1989 Express?
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bill »

BigM
Could we not put the information into the Vendors list :?:
:shock:
bill
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

For site admins / webmaster:
Questions....
Is it possible to:
1. Create within the website an Excel spreadsheet or Access database that can then
2. Be linked to a "Parts information" web page that would have an unmodifiable by members link to the above spreadsheet / database.
3. The "Parts information " page would have 2 options:
A. A query setup where someone looking for info on a specific "thing" (motors, prop shafts, [or] more detailed info) and when completed with his/her selection, hit <Enter> button to get results.
B. A 'part info submission ' option for a new (or modified Info on a currently present part) in which that new/modified data could be entered and submitted.
--> the info would then be submitted to the page moderator who would ascertain the validity of the submitted info and once verified, enter it into the spreadsheet/ database. This would ensure accurate info AND maintain the integrity of the data.

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

When John Althouse's web site was still up and running, I printed off all of the available stats, prop sizes, RPM numbers, etc.... I have also converted the entire Chrysler engine parts book (for the pre 1980 engines) to modern, updated part numbers from NAPA, Summit Racing, etc... Just don't Know how to put all that info back INTO a computer! I would be willing to copy all of it and mail it to someone that can do the computer stuff.
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio