Am i crazy???? Double cabin VS Marque

Things that are of general interest.
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Re: Am i crazy???? Doible cabin VS Marque

Post by legendlc »

Balthaus this is the one I haven't fully committed yet. I have been to look at it and yes it is ROUGH. I figured a couple of year project to gut rebuild interior rebuild power plants grannies etc. Bottom is ROUGH also like can't find the rudders lol. Can't figure out if it has went under or just filthy dirty and had hatches and doors open in the weather etc. Nothing I would plan on having in the water this season. I am nostalgic for local built products and the fact I own several brakes,shears and metal working equipment plus a endless supply of stainless and aluminum it would be easy to add tweaks such as hardtops etc. Is there any floorplan diagrams out there? I have searched for a while but no luck. I was in the boat business pre 08 and a couple of marine mechanics in the family so not to worried about the work. Of all electrical needs replaced then that's another story. Been that path before and not interested in doing that again. Does anyone have a idea of market value of one of these aluminum beast? I wouldn't plan on getting rid of it since my kids are dying to get back on the water etc. But working my free time away on a large project to be that far upside down is another story. I understand it is a big project but I just hate to see one of Louisvills's finest products die a miserable life like she is now.
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

I can totally appreciate the sediment of not wanting her to die miserably, as M's are to aluminum boats to what Chris Crafts are to people that love old wooden boats. Marinettes are beautiful classics. In my first year of ownership of my '37, I have studied the history of these boats, spent time working on it, and love more all the time. As a professional mechanic, I have spent time attempting to repair vehicles that have been underwater in a flood, if the wiring has had excessive moisture exposure, you might want too walk away. Electrical gremlins can be most frustrating. Also, having attempted several antique car restorations, you might find yourself asking if it is cost effective. I restored an old Cadillac into the thousands $$$$, then ended finding a mint condition original for half of what I spent on the restoration. (never finished the restoration, by the way, and am still enjoying, driving & showing the original Cadillac) If it was up here in Northern Ohio, for the price, and I had time and money to burn, I'd buy it, just to save it at least.
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bill »

BigM
Well its not to far from its home. Louisville KT. :idea: Chances are it never saw salt water. :D Were you able to inspect the inside and engine compartment :?: A real labor of love and lotsa mula. :shock:
bill
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

I did a real quick once over. Didn't dig to deep in engine bay but it's all there and looks corrosion free' ish. Bottom and topsided need new paint. I'm sure all dunno g gear needs attention stuffing boxes etc . new Windows and all in all a total rehab. Everything is there and accounted for just condition unknown.
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
balthaus
Aluminum Star

Post by balthaus »

legendic
There are a few BigM Marquis in Louisville for reference....some on this forum.
I am sure you have done due diligence with Google etc.... regarding floor plan.
It is hard, if not impossible, to find, an overhead CAD type view.
It sounds to me that skill, desire, and ability is not really the problem.
Gather all the pictures you can...but, as you know, being on one .... with a tape measure, paper and pencil might be the only way to replicate to factory specs.
If a 37' Sedan FB DC is your " dream " then this is very likely the deal for you ( I have not physically seen this boat).
For reference, we bought our 1984 32' Sedan FB for $9500 plus transport....bottom paint, radios, and and and. I looked around for 10 plus years (have been cruising on the river for a long time on BigM ) looked seriously for 3 additional years.
I don't really think I am telling you anything that you don't already know.
FastJeff, BarkleyDave, and many others here have MUCH more real world experience than I.
However, Louisville has a pretty strong contingent of BigM, including a SWEET catamaran. Shout out, see if you can actually physically see the examples.
1984 32' Sedan FB
Twin Chrysler 360's
1.52:1 Velvet Drives
Raw water cooled
Ohio River
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

That's what I was hoping for on this forum. Thank you
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
Roger2
Aluminum Star

Re: Am i crazy???? Double cabin VS Marque

Post by Roger2 »

legendlc, Don't know if you have found what you want or not, but I have my 37 Double cabin fly bridge for sale. It has Marinette factory installed Volvo diesels. Check it out on Yachttrader.

Roger
"Sea Jay" a 37' Double cabin with twin factory Volvo diesels, 230 HP each. Twin Disk 1.54 Trans turning DynaQuad 19X21 props.
Roger Brown
Petersburg, IL
TheScottFraser

Post by TheScottFraser »

If it needs engineer Es and transmissions and a generator you will spend more on just that equipment alone then a premium for sale boat will set you back. Depends on what you want to do. I have restored cars that I am very happy with how upside down I am with it. Depends on you sanity level and the depth of your pockets.
1985 marinette 39AC
1988 Oday 272 sailboat
1986 Boston whaler 13'
And more motorcycles then could ever be deamed appropriate.
The Captain and I live in woodstock, Ga.
Our boat is on Lake Lanier
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Right. Boaters don't get into this hobby to make a profit!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

This project will definitely end up in the loss catagory. The only reason I am interested in it is I can buy it and pay for repairs out of play money a little at a time. This keeps the wife happy as she manages the books here at my household. It will be a slow process. Secondly it's aluminum no discoloring or soft fiberglass down the road. My family size is 4 so this will fit us for many years. I can change Floorplan to plan B i hope and or make it what I want. If we decide to move it to Florida later on as we have thought about it is fine for the ICW. Etc,etc
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY