What's the best bottom paint

Things that are of general interest.
FeelinFrisquee
New poster

What's the best bottom paint

Post by FeelinFrisquee »

We purchased our boat in the middle of the season last year and only launched it several times, bottom paint wasn't an issue.
The Bayview Bridge is out for the first half of the season restricting our ability to easily travel to the boat ramp. We've decided to dock it in a slip for this season. The previous owner has several different paint colors on the bottom and there's a few bare spots. He's unavailable for comment on the paint types. I really don't want to take the time or expense to strip the entire 32' bottom and start from scratch.
Can anyone recommend a good bottom paint for our situation?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Brian
Brian & Jennie Frisque
aboard "Feelin' Frisquee"
1967 Marinette 32 Express
Twin 350's
Sturgeon Bay, WI.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: What's the best bottom paint

Post by Fastjeff »

Two decisions: Type and manufacturer.

Hard coat lasts for years but doesn't provide as much protection (assuming the area you boat in needs it).

Ablative coating needs to be redone roughly every year (mine did) but gives the best protection.

Once that decision is made you have to find aluminum hull safe AF coating. There's quite a few out there to choose from, and the list is growing since the copper-based stuff has come under fire (for, as usual, no sane reason).

I've used Trilux 33 for years and it worked fine.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Maestro
Aluminum Star

Post by Maestro »

If there are bare spots, you'll want to sand them to bright metal and immediately spray with Interlux Primocon http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?pa ... &id=160069

This will protect the aluminum. Then, apply antifouling paint of your choice. Like Jeff said above, hard antifouling lasts longer but can scum up over time and often requires sanding when re-done after several seasons. If you go with hard antifouling, Interlux Trilux 33 is by far the most common used among Marinette owners.

Ablative antifouling is designed to wear away over time, sort of like the tread of a tire. It leeches off into the water and keeps the grime and zebra mussels off. Appropriate products for Marinettes include Interlux Micron CF, TotalBoat Krypton, and SeaHawk Mission Bay.

In all cases, be sure the antifoulant you choose DOES NOT CONTAIN COPPER as it is corrosive to aluminum.

If it has been a long time since your boat was painted, I recommend pressure washing it before repainting to knock off any gunk or loose paint.
Maestro
1986 32' Sedan
Chrysler 360s
1.5:1 Gears, 16x16 props

1970 28' Express
Single Chrysler 440
1:1 Gear, 14x12 prop

Green Bay, WI
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

One thing I forgot to add: To recoat the bottom with Trilux 33, all you need is a good water blasting. That removes the surface film (like it sloughs off in motion) and prepares the surface for coating.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
railrunner04
Tin star

Post by railrunner04 »

The paint someone else puts on while you're at the clubhouse having a cold one 8-) :lol: :lol:
Moby Rick
FYC grosse ile mich
32ft F/B express
T/318 Chrysler marine
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

And when you're laying under there, and accidently put your head into the paint tray, you get to visit the barber.

Oh, the joys of boat ownership!

Jeff
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

I painting boat bottoms for many years.... I hated every one! Over that last 10 years I now finally am able to have the work done... what a relief and a lot better for my health. Many marina yards are closed yards and EPA has really turned the screws on proper procedures for containing sanding dust etc. The days of just letting it drop on the ground are now illegal in many areas.

I was lucky and found a great marina in my area that actually specializes in aluminum repair and painting so the job was done correctly. Took it all the way back to bare last September.

safe harbors,

dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
DougDoty
Tin star

Post by DougDoty »

I just finished doing mine last week. Took it to bare and give it 4 coats of interlux interprotect 2000E and I wanted to try using the newer pacifica plus by interlux but realized I had already bought Trilux 33 last fall and was not about to shelf the 33 and buy something else. I had recently talked to a couple of boat yards that were starting to favor the Pacifica Plus for adhesion reasons, they said it was better at wearing thin without chipping away in areas.
1984 39 Marinette Sedan, " LIBERTY ONE " Warsaw KY, 440 chryslers, Westerbeke 9.0 kw , 1 3/8" shafts 93 1/4" long and 19x22 dyna quads or, 19x20 DQX's 38.5 MPH GPS best.
Leviathon
Aluminum Star

Post by Leviathon »

Probably get bashed for this, but I just used this brand and we will see how it goes this season.

Flexdel Armor Copper-Free Antifouling Paint - Gallon
Multi-Season Ablative, Solvent-Based, Dual Biocide, Prevents Slime & Algae
Advanced Copper-Free Formula Provides Excellent Antifouling Protection
Steve and Mary Levi
1973 32' Marinette Fisherman
SBC Crusaders
El Ohssa
St. Joseph, Michigan
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

No reason it won't work just fine. Please report on it next winter at haul out.

Jeff