How much bilge water is acceptable?

Things that are of general interest.
martindesign
Aluminum Star

How much bilge water is acceptable?

Post by martindesign »

So here's my concern. Got my 32 in the water Monday for the fist time. After some adjusting and what not all leaks were stopped. It rained like mad and I expected some water. The strange thing is that even though the bow pump is the lower one, it isn't much lower. There is maybe an inch of water at the float swich and pump (below the limit of the pumps ability to pump out.) But that inch of water is pretty even all the way to the front of the motors, and deeper near in the middle 5-6 feet back from the bow pump. I thought the bow was the lowest point? Its a lot of water to constantly have in the bilge. I'm sure if I run her on plane I can get most out with the aft pump but in between going out it seems like too much moisture in the cabin. Now I should mention it is a big block boat and my bow water tank is currently empty but I also one have 1/4 tank fuel. Sorry so long winded but wanted to provide all information. BTW all passages are clear of debris. Thanks in advance guys. :)
Machanic, fabricator, carpenter, plumber, electrician, designer, hotrod builder and glutton for punishment. :ugeek: current boat; 1969 Marinette 32 express bridge 440's
Catawba Oh
jralbert
Site Admin

Re: How much bilge water is acceptable?

Post by jralbert »

Strange that you would think the bow would be lower (unless for some reason it actually is in your boat as it is trimmed). It shouldn't be. Every boat I've owned has been a little stern heavy, with the bow a bit higher, because of engine and fuel tank placement. That's why getting up on plane brings up the stern so the boat is riding essentially flat. Check photos of boats sitting at anchor for comparison.

For me, it was rare to have any water accumulation in the bow area of the bilge except perhaps for small leaks after heavy rain or AC condensation draining when I forgot to turn on the fwd pump. The pump in our 32 was about midship in the fwd section of the engine compartment and typically accumulated about half an inch of water (just below the point where the switch kicked in). Most of that was sucked out as the bilge water sloshed around while we were underway. Bilge water built up from deck leaks (rain) and just a little from the packing shaft throwoff.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
martindesign
Aluminum Star

Post by martindesign »

Thank u for the quick reply Jralbert.I agree about stern heavy every boat I've ever owned was lower at the transom but I've been told since the Marinette is relatively flat at the stern and a pretty deep vee in the bow that at anchor the water flows forward.? After all the plug is up there. Previous owner had one pump up by the plug and one between the rudders. Should the bow pump be further back near the midship access panel?
Machanic, fabricator, carpenter, plumber, electrician, designer, hotrod builder and glutton for punishment. :ugeek: current boat; 1969 Marinette 32 express bridge 440's
Catawba Oh
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

I cannot speak to the CG of a 69 Big M. In later boats 28,29, 32 bilge drain was forward in engine room center a couple of inches aft of the forward bulk head. There was also a forward bilge plug forward just aft of the V berth. This forward plug was often removed when in layup and so if it was not level it would drain. No drain plugs were installed aft between the rudders that I am aware of. (Now a P.O. might have put one in.

2 bilge pumps was pretty much standard. One in engine at bulkhead, Second forward aft of V berth under inspection hatch.

No my 29 never has water forward. Only one time and that was due to very heavy sea day and water ran down the anchor hauser.

Water should not move forward of the engine room forward bulkhead. (should be sealed.)

Now if you have a shower sump that overflows, or AC condensation draining into the saloon then it will be wet.

safe boating,

dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
martindesign
Aluminum Star

Post by martindesign »

Dave, great info thank you. my forward pump needs to be moved back as I suspected Po must have put it where it is now. I am a bit concerned in regards to water isolation in bulkhead though, because in my boat the water flows freely from bow to stern. All cross supports and bulkheads have what appears to be factory openings that allow water to flow through.?
Catawba Oh
ddependo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by ddependo »

My 1973 /32 ft express holds water mid cabin. I have a bilge pump just aft of v birth & one between the rudders .I put a diaphragm pump mid cabin with a pick-up tube with strainer to get most of the rest. The lowest point on mine is just aft of v birth. Moisture has never been a problem. After all you are sitting in the water/ water is everywhere.
Wayne
1973 32 express fly bridge
Chattanooga
"Southern Lady"
martindesign
Aluminum Star

Post by martindesign »

Lol. Agreed. I Just don't like any more under the cabin than I have to. I was lookimg into a diaphram pump to get the level down a bit more midship glad to hear someone else using one with good results. Wayne and the rest of u guys answered all my questions. thank you I appreciate it this forum is great. happy days to all.
Catawba Oh
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

martindesign wrote:. my forward pump needs to be moved back .... I am a bit concerned in regards to water isolation in bulkhead though, because in my boat the water flows freely from bow to stern. All cross supports and bulkheads have what appears to be factory openings that allow water to flow through.?
Leave your fwd pump where it is but add one in the aft area. If you're getting water up front, then the fwd pump will do what it's supposed to. Still, though, I can't figure out why your boat tilts fwd. That's the subject of another discussion as is the little scuppers that allow water to flow freely between fwd and aft bilge areas.

Keep in mind the walling off of the two areas designed for our boats (at least my 1988 boat and others reporting here) isn't the same as isolating bulkheads on seriously big boats, the setup designed to seal off an area that is flooding. In our boats, the separation is small level stuff because if we had serious hull penetration or water intrusion the water will spread quickly throughout the boat (which we hope will never happen, glub)
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
martindesign
Aluminum Star

Post by martindesign »

I do understand the concept of bulkheads. I was trying to see if all marinette 32s were build like mine and clearly over the years there were some changes. I have an aft pump, I was referring to moving it back about five feet to behind the v berth.there is no reason to leave it where it is when I can move it to a lower spot in the hull. My whole point was that it isn't doing its job way up there where it is now. My apologies if I was unclear in explaining.
Catawba Oh
TinLizzy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by TinLizzy »

Water moves freely between aft and stern on my 75 28ft., when I come off plane and I didn't use the stern pump, my forward pump float switch will kick on for a little while.
Rodney
1975 28 Express-Twin 350 Chevy's, SOLD
1990 32 Express--Twin Mercruiser 454 with Bravo I outdrives
Portage Canal Waterway-Upper Peninsula,Lake Superior