Leak at Prop Shaft?

Things that are of general interest.
seef158
Aluminum Star

Re: Leak at Prop Shaft?

Post by seef158 »

Hey, the bilge in the front of the boat is the low point when the boat is level. My boat pumps water from that one regularly. I also have pump in the rear right in front of the rudder log, I've never gotten water to pump from that rear pump. I finally sent you those pics of the wiring I've been meaning to send.
1972 28' express single 318, working on getting the bugs worked out.
forest lake, mn
Duluth, mn
Washburn, wi
Rockit
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockit »

My 28 has a submersible bilge pump with a float switch forward just aft of the v berth and near the drain plug. It also has another submersible pump with a float switch on the centerline next to the transom. A PO installed a third bilge pump above bilge on the floor under the v berth (just aft of the water system pump) with a pickup in the bilge next to the submersible pump. Each pump has its own discharge hose. The second "upper" pump is wired into the pressure water system and there is a toggle switch mounted just inside the door under the v berth. It's a screwy setup but the second pump can get the bilge nearly dry.

All of them work although I can't remember the aft pump actually running--then again, if we're running at 3000 rpm, I wouldn't hear the pump running.

Good luck.

Joe
Joe Napoli
1977 28' Express
Twin raw water cooled 318s
Beaver River--near mile 25 on the Ohio
papaharry

Post by papaharry »

Dumb question? does "on the hard" mean out of the water I want to repack the stuffing box (excessive leaking) 1986 28' Sportsman 360 Chrysler - velvet drive I will need to find out what kind of packing I will need?
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

I strongly suggest you go with Joel's suggestion: Have someone watching under the hull as you dribble water from a hose in various spots that could cause the leak.

And, for heavens sake, don't launch until you see where that leak is coming from.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

PappaHarry...

There are no "dumb" questions....

"On the hard" does mean out of the water. Normally that's the term used when a boat has been pulled from the water and is on blocks or stands.

Your notation about excessive leaking... Is that from around the packing gland? The packing does wear out over time. Some folks MIGHT offer the advice of trying to tighten a packing gland nut that's been in place for awhile. THIS MIGHT NOT BE A GOOD IDEA! READ BELOW (TAKEN FROM THE OLD FORUM...)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeff
1745 Posted Thu May
27 2010 10:46:26
GMT-0400 (EDT)
by collins69s
When I first launched the boat this year the shaft packings were dripping too much. And dripping like 1/4 notes at 60 BPM, once
every second. So I tightened the up while at the dock and didn't take the boat out for a couple weeks. When I did take her out, I
didn't think about the packing nuts till I came back to the dock. The shafts were a bit warmer than body temp, and that's where
she stands now. I didn't want to adjust the packing nuts and then leave for the week just in case something were to happen after
I left. I am planning on adjusting them this weekend while I am up there for a few days and can keep tabs on what's happening
instead of wondering if something is. Dig?
Thanks,
Sean
1745 Posted Thu May
27 2010 18:57:38
GMT-0400 (EDT)
by fastjeff
Sean:
Have you replaced the packings, or are yours old ones that leak too much? If the latter, don't tighten them up any more or you'll
score your shafts, for the packing lubricity is long gone
. I recommend the Teflon packing--it works great and is maintenance
free. Adjusted mine early last year and haven't had to touch them again yet, and they run cool to the touch.
Jeff

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeff had recommended the teflon type of packing in the past posting. I believe there was a posting (including pictures) of how to do a packing gland change out. I do remember that the instructions included:
- using 3 (?) sets of 3/16" packing rings (whether teflon or the old style.)
- each ring set (of packing material) was NOT cut at 90 degrees at the meeting point but at an angle which caused the ring to compress on itself (where a 90 degree cut could "gap" as it was compressed and leak too much).
- each set of packing ring material was inserted into the gland with the cut joints offset from the one under it (something like in "thirds") so the joints didn't line up directly over each other

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
papaharry

Post by papaharry »

Thanks for the response, Put the boat in on Wed. went up Friday for a shake out cruse and found about 6" of water in the bilge. Found the bilge pump turned off, placed it on Auto and it pumped but keep kicking on and off (even on manual) leak was running steady from seal, tightened jam nut until steady trip every second or two while in neutral. Had the boat 6 years now do not know if previous owner ever replaced the seal (don't think so) Going to check it out today and take a look at that bilge pump.
'
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Whoa! Relying on a bilge pump is like Russian Roulette.

You CAN change the packing with the boat in the water--done it a few times. Yes, water will come in, but not horrendously and the bilge pump can keep up.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
papaharry

Post by papaharry »

Looks like the adjustment I made to the stuffing box is holding up the bilge pump seems to be working ok now
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

That's fine if the packing isn't so old its lubricity is gone, for that can damage the shaft if it's old and too tight.

Jeff
papaharry

Post by papaharry »

I am sure the packing is original 1986. I was looking at replacing it with Palmetto Graphite imbedded seal - but I don't know what size I need (they make many 1/8" up) I guess I'll have to wait until I pull it.