Air horns

Things that are of general interest.
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Air horns

Post by javalin390 »

Since the purchase of my 37' I am finding all the things that are wrong with it, as mentioned in some previous posts. One thing I found was the horns do not work. I have fixed a few items so far, like the air hoses to each horn were kinked shut ! One of the previous owners had tried to fix it before and was unsuccessful, and had mounted a single cylinder, piston type 12 volt air compressor in the dashboard up on the flybridge. I had to straighten out the wiring, as it was all butchered up too. once done, the piston type air compressor would not produce enough air ( volume ) to blow the horns ( it has 4 trumpets, two on each side of the bridge ) All 4 are plumbed together. I tried to just hook up two, but the volume of air was still not sufficient. Thinking that a piston style air compressor probably needs a storage air tank, I instead bought a new WoLo vane style air pump, commonly used on cars/pick up trucks ( like the Dixie horn on the Dukes of Hazzard car ) It was a 28 PSI pump, but yet again, still not enough volume to blow the horns. The only thing I can think of is that these horns are of the type that are used on semi trucks & trains, that require 90-120 psi to operate. I cannot find a brand name on the trumpets, or an operating pressure number. Only "23 L" is stamped on the chrome base . Are these factory Marinette horns ? Anybody run into this before. A brand new WoLo set up with trumpets & matching compressor will cost about $200 -300, so if I want to replace all 4 trumpets, I will need two complete kits at a cost of more than $500 !! I'd rather not "blow" that kinda money ! Help.
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
collins69s
Tin star

Re: Air horns

Post by collins69s »

Just wondering, did you follow the air lines all the way from the comp to the horns? Do they make any sound at all? Maybe you'll find a surprise..
1970 42' Inland Seas Aluminum Cruiser
Inland C's
Twin Star Power Turbo 7.3 EFI Diesels
ZF Trannys
Port Clinton, OH

1972 32' Marinette FB Express
Siff Surf
Twin Chrysler 318s
Original Prestolite Distributors (No Issues)
Port Clinton, OH
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

Mine at one time hardly made any sound at all... further investigation...MUD DOBBERS! Cleaned out horns and away they went.
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
Rob
Tin star

Post by Rob »

Those mud dobbers are a pain! On my 73, the air horns are Hadley's with a holding tank in the bilge. The air pump runs off the vacuum off the port carb (sounds like a valve knocking). I tested the horns with a small portable compressor first. The pump was putting out air but was not filling the tank. I put a small check valve in the air line after the pump and it fixed the problem.
1973 32' FB Express
Cincinnati, Ohio