New here

Things that are of general interest.
seef158
Aluminum Star

Re: New here

Post by seef158 »

Boatin2 wrote:
seef158 wrote:I also just bought a 28 express, single 318 that has been sitting for about 3.5 years. I brought home, put generous amounts of marvel in each cylinder and let it sit for 2 days. After sitting for those 2 days I cranked the engine over before reinstalling the plugs to make sure I got oil pressure up. It also helped to expel some of the marvel oil. It was a little messy but oh well, I put the same plugs back in and it fired up on a little fuel down the carb to get the pump primed. 10 hours run time into the year I found a few hoses that leaked that I replaced along with a bad circulating pump and I put a raw water impeller in as maintenance. I keep a spare dist. cap, rotor, plugs and coil in the boat.
I could take some photos of the back side of my dash if that would help, shoot me your email. Mine is a1978 if that matters as far as wiring and instruments.

Did you do anything with your fuel system before you started your engine?
I pulled/drained the perko filter, element looked good. The inline filter looked new so I just started and ran it, figure I'll suck any gunk out of the tank and change the in line after a tank or two and clean the perko out again. My boat was owned by a guy who owned a marine storage/repair outfit and he put it away right. Whatever he used in the fuel must've been good because the gas didn't even smell bad. By the way I never got your email, if you want me to take pictures of my wiring email me at seef158@hotmail.com
1972 28' express single 318, working on getting the bugs worked out.
forest lake, mn
Duluth, mn
Washburn, wi
Boatin2
Tin star

Post by Boatin2 »

Thank you, I just emailed you. I sent a pm on here with my email address first oops. lol Another question, did you change the impeller.

Thank you!
1970 28' express single 318
Sandusky, Oh
Lake Erie, Ohio
Raw water cooled.
It only takes a few Nautical miles to make me a happy man! :D
At my age I've learned a lot about what to trust and not trust. I definitely do not trust a fart. :lol:
yooper
Aluminum Star

Post by yooper »

The wiring on my old single was fairly straight forward after I tore out the rats nest the prior owner made for the bilge pump hookup. Also, he hooked the ignition starting circuit to the horn switch and clipped off the engine harness plug. If Its like my 1978, the main DC distribution panel is hidden behind the medicine cabinet in the bathroom. This gets power from the batteries and passes it via labeled connections to the breaker/switch panel which then powers the 12 v devices. The most important connections however are those directly connected to your engine wiring harness. These support your starting circuits and engine sensors (water temp, alternator, engine alarm, oil pressure, tachometer). Fix all these first. My boat lost the harness plugs during an engine replacement leaving a big mess. If all they did was try to install new instrument dials to your instrument panel Your job wont be very hard but you will need diagrams from the teleflex website. There are no more than 3 important connections for an instrument. The sender wire, power and ground. The rest of the mess is just for panel lighting. Here is some advice nobody ever takes. Get your boat running safely and in the water. You can do a lot of the fitting out and cosmetics while you are tied up after having some fun.
Boatin2
Tin star

Post by Boatin2 »

Ok, so we made the long drive this weekend up to where our boat is being stored. I gave a good look at the wiring and it appears that the fuse block behind the medicine cabinet is new. Everything seems to be wired up, however there are a few open wires just sitting there that are coming up from the engine compartment. One gray wire looks like it may be coming from an explosive gas sensor but, there is already another gray wire attached at the helm and there appears to be two sensors in the engine compartment. So, I do not know if its normal to have two, or installed a new one and left the old one? There is also a thick white wire sitting but, not connected at the helm that runs over to the battery compartment unconnected? There are also 4 red wires at the battery compartment not connected to anything. I am wondering if I connect these to the batteries when they are re-installed or if they get connected somewhere else? Also, there is a coaxial cable coming up to the helm not connected to anything? I am assuming this is just for T.V. but being this is my first boat of this size I am not positive. HELP!! I know this is a lot to look at but I appreciate any input!
Sandusky, Oh
Lake Erie, Ohio
Raw water cooled.
At my age I've learned a lot about what to trust and not trust. I definitely do not trust a fart. :lol:
Boatin2
Tin star

Post by Boatin2 »

I forgot to add that a wire is new wire is hanging marked bilge pump that is running from the helm to the engine compartment but I don't see a second bilge pump anywhere. There is a plug starboard of the engine that i am not quite sure whats purpose is either. Possibly for a transducer maybe?
Sandusky, Oh
Lake Erie, Ohio
Raw water cooled.
Boatin2
Tin star

Post by Boatin2 »

Sorry for all the questions, Just nervous I will hook something up wrong. :( Thank you all for all the help and advice!
Sandusky, Oh
Lake Erie, Ohio
Raw water cooled.
ericinga
Aluminum Star

Post by ericinga »

Here's how I worked on the wiring for our boat:
Use two people. One person at the panel in the head and the other working the bilge.
Start pulling on wires to identify the panel location and final connection in the bilge. Mark the wires.
There were some wires that seem to go no where. I verified they were not energized and left them alone. Later, I went back and figured them out.
The biggest issues are proper grounding and stray current.

One example: mine was wired at the panel for an aft bilge pump but the wires were clipped below the helm in the bilge.

Another is a 10ga white wire loose in the bilge that ran from below the helm over to the batteries. It was not connected at either end. I assume it is a ground wire but haven't done anything with it.
Eric Spies
1989 32 SDFB
Twin 318s
Lake Lanier, GA
Marinette Boat
Boatin2
Tin star

Post by Boatin2 »

Does anyone with a 28' have an aft bilge? if so where is it located? I have a wire sitting unconnected marked bilge pump in the engine compartment. I also found something under the V-birth on the port side that I'm not sure what it is either. It has an evaporator coil and fan and the only control I see is a toggle switch on the outside of the V-birth.
Sandusky, Oh
Lake Erie, Ohio
Raw water cooled.
TinLizzy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by TinLizzy »

On my 28 twin my rear bilge pump is located between the rudders, only use it up on plane, as there is no water by it when it sits at dock, all the water goes to the bow. The contraption in the v birth is the condenser for the refrigerator.
Rodney
1975 28 Express-Twin 350 Chevy's, SOLD
1990 32 Express--Twin Mercruiser 454 with Bravo I outdrives
Portage Canal Waterway-Upper Peninsula,Lake Superior
Boatin2
Tin star

Post by Boatin2 »

Thanks. I new it looked like it cooled something just didn't know what. :lol:
Sandusky, Oh
Lake Erie, Ohio
Raw water cooled.