New here

Things that are of general interest.
Boatin2
Tin star

New here

Post by Boatin2 »

Hi everyone, this is Mike and Barbie. We looked at several boats before coming across a 1970 28' express that had been abandon by the current owner do to health and storage issues. The price was very reasonable and she is very clean for her age. I was also able to speak to a prior owner about her which was also very helpful about what has and has not been done to her. The helm wiring is disconnected but all the wires appear to be marked to I am confident I can put it back together but if anyone has an idea of where I can get a diagram from that may be helpful. She has a single 318 rebuilt 6 years ago but hasn't been started in two years so I figure I need to change the oil, fuel and put a couple drops of oil in each cylinder before i start her up for the first time. She has been stored at a marina and was professionally winterized before being put up so hopefully all will go well. Any advise would be greatly appreciated as my wife and I are looking forward to getting started on her and having a great year on Lake Erie.
Mike and Barbie :D
1970 28' express single 318
Sandusky, Oh
Lake Erie, Ohio
Raw water cooled.
It only takes a few Nautical miles to make me a happy man! :D
At my age I've learned a lot about what to trust and not trust. I definitely do not trust a fart. :lol:
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: New here

Post by bill »

BigM
Welcome aboard Boatin2 aka Mike and Barbie. ;)
It was very helpful for you to talk with the previous owner. :idea: Did they mention why the wiring was disconnected :?:
Was there a survey done on the boat :?:
Have you experience with a single screw boat :?:
Some marinas and their work force are not professionals :shock:
Take your time and go threw all the systems before you launch.
As you have found out there is a wealth of good info on this site. :geek:
If I haven't scarred you away :twisted: Then enjoy your new toy. :D
and Happy boating ;)
bill

Please add a signature to your posts. :roll:
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
seef158
Aluminum Star

Post by seef158 »

I also just bought a 28 express, single 318 that has been sitting for about 3.5 years. I brought home, put generous amounts of marvel in each cylinder and let it sit for 2 days. After sitting for those 2 days I cranked the engine over before reinstalling the plugs to make sure I got oil pressure up. It also helped to expel some of the marvel oil. It was a little messy but oh well, I put the same plugs back in and it fired up on a little fuel down the carb to get the pump primed. 10 hours run time into the year I found a few hoses that leaked that I replaced along with a bad circulating pump and I put a raw water impeller in as maintenance. I keep a spare dist. cap, rotor, plugs and coil in the boat.
I could take some photos of the back side of my dash if that would help, shoot me your email. Mine is a1978 if that matters as far as wiring and instruments.
1972 28' express single 318, working on getting the bugs worked out.
forest lake, mn
Duluth, mn
Washburn, wi
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

Wiring will be pretty simple once you get it figured out. Draw a picture or diagram as you get it figured out. Use an Ohmmeter to sort the wires and you may want to change some and clean it up as you go.--Ed
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
Boatin2
Tin star

Post by Boatin2 »

Hi Bill,
I was told that they were updating the instruments and didn't end up completing the job. No survey and I have no experience with a single screw boat. Its all a learning process for me so that's why I joined looking for any helpful advice you all have to offer. We have been looking at boats for about 6 mos now and after looking at several and seeing the condition of this one I decided to skip the survey because it really looks like its in good shape as well as talking with one of the previous owners who was candid with me about it. As far as the Marina and staff goes my wife's grandparents had their boat there for many years and they are good people. We definitely plan on taking our time getting her ready and not scared at all. :)
Sandusky, Oh
Lake Erie, Ohio
Raw water cooled.
At my age I've learned a lot about what to trust and not trust. I definitely do not trust a fart. :lol:
Boatin2
Tin star

Post by Boatin2 »

Seef158 Just sent our email address to you. Thank you for any advice and help it is greatly appreciated, Ours is a 1970.
Sandusky, Oh
Lake Erie, Ohio
Raw water cooled.
Boatin2
Tin star

Post by Boatin2 »

Hi Ed,
Drawing it as I go sounds like a good idea in case I ever need to refer back to it.
Thanks,
Mike and Barbie
Sandusky, Oh
Lake Erie, Ohio
Raw water cooled.
ericinga
Aluminum Star

Post by ericinga »

Mike-

We bought our 76 28' express last year. Our slogan for the year was seaworthy and trustworthy. Our boat never stranded us but a few hours were spent in the bilge on a hot day wishing the inner hull was smooth like a fiberglass boat and the wife standing on the aft sole asking for progress updates.

My advice: 1. Carry a good set of tools and 2. Check every system before hitting the water. 3. If youre not mechanically inclined, make friends with someone. I am and seem to spend an hour a week in someone elses bilge.

Then, after the boat has a few hours on it check the systems again. When I say check everything, I mean every thing. The simple $%&# can ruin a wonderful lake day.

Even a simple check like tugging on wires with existing butt splices will save you hours chasing a phantom problem.
Eric Spies
1989 32 SDFB
Twin 318s
Lake Lanier, GA
Marinette Boat
Boatin2
Tin star

Post by Boatin2 »

Eric, Great advice!!! nothing worse than trying to chase down electrical issues one wire at a time. I am mechanically inclined, sometimes knowing more than I care to other times not enough! HA :)
Sandusky, Oh
Lake Erie, Ohio
Raw water cooled.
Boatin2
Tin star

Post by Boatin2 »

I do have a question, What do you all use to clean your deck with? Ours is the white looking deck its in great shape just a little dirty.
Thanks in advance!
Sandusky, Oh
Lake Erie, Ohio
Raw water cooled.