HOW TO: Loose Railing (Fastjeff Page)

Things that are of general interest.
jtalberts
Aluminum Star

HOW TO: Loose Railing (Fastjeff Page)

Post by jtalberts »

That Railing Mess
One of the curses of aluminum boats is corrosion where the railing posts are screwed to the deck. In the first photo the railing has been removed to reveal the usual mess below it. (The deck in this particular location had the usual "minor" paint blisters showing, and black crud had built up below the rubber gasket.) In the next photo the mess has been sanded down to bare metal. Note that corrosion is halfway through the deck in one spot! This was the worse case, but every post had some level of corrosion growing under it.

In the next photo, the aluminum step plate has been removed. Note that, though is a bit of corrosion near one of the screws, and some black crud hiding below it, there was none of the deep, ugly corrosion found under the railing posts. My conclusion: Those rubber gaskets are bad news!)

In the next photo, I'm installing aluminum rivets in 17/64 inch drilled holes. The homemade rivet setter in the left photo works great if there's room to swing the handle. When there isn't, a ratchet and grade 8 bolt and nuts have to do. Get several for they wear out.

In the last photo the aluminum rivets have been 'set' and 1/8 “ thick plastic washers are glued on top of them with silicone (since the washers are tough to locate under the posts unless they are glued in place.) A rubber gasket is NOT used, to prevent moisture trapped below the gasket setting up a corrosion cell.
Update: After 4 years, the railing bolts are all still nice and tight, and minimal corrosion has reappeared under the posts.

1973 Marinette Seacrest Executive
41x14
Twin Chrysler 340's with Velvet Drive 71C
"Figment"
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: HOW TO: Loose Railing (Fastjeff Page)

Post by Fastjeff »

Update: After TEN years not one has loosened up!

Jeff

PS: Jeez; I still had hair back then...
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
marinetteman
Site Admin

Post by marinetteman »

Great post...
Thank you
37 Foot Sedan Twin EFI Crusader 350s
Admin (forum founder)
Marinetteman (marinettejoe) BigM
l98ycar

Post by l98ycar »

Noticing that the railing is through bolted - how do you access the nuts from the bottom? I have not gotten in there to look for them yet... Definitely on my list of things to do in the fall/winter.
Scott
1978 Marinette '37 Dual Cabin
440 Chryslers
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

The 'nuts' are rivet nuts. You place them in the hole, 'set them' (tighen the bolt which crimps them in place), then screw bolt the railing in place.

Still tight after 11 years!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
l98ycar

Post by l98ycar »

What I meant to ask was how to remove the nuts on the existing railing - I realize the replacements are aluminum riv-nuts but what is on the boat now is machine screws and nuts - right? or are the existing fastners stainless steel screws into the aluminum deck?
Scott
1978 Marinette '37 Dual Cabin
440 Chryslers
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bill »

BigM
They used stainless steel sheet metal screws from the factory. :?
And steel rudders. :x
And Natalex covered marine plywood aft decks on the sedan and express models. :roll:
Other than that they are great boats. :D
bill
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

l98ycar wrote: are the existing fastners stainless steel screwed into the aluminum deck?
Screwed in and probably most have just enough corrosion on the threads so they are locked in and you'll have to drill them out. You'll get a drill out of that project
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD