Hello Fellow Marinette owners

Things that are of general interest.
WeldZilla

Hello Fellow Marinette owners

Post by WeldZilla »

Hello to all, I am perhaps your newest member as well as the newest Marinette owner. I just purchased a 1972 32ft. sedan flybridge. I already got my first surprise when I realized the flybridge on my Marinette was fiberglass! I said was because there will be no fiberglass up there when I am done. Mine came with the standard twin 318s. They have not been started in at least a couple years. Not sure yet what I am going to do about the engine situation. The swim platform brackets were bronze I believe and not properly gasketed from the stern of the boat so the galvanic corrosion has nearly eaten through. I will tear all that off first thing. I cut out the entire area and put in new 5086 aluminum.
As my nic name would suggest, I am a welder by trade and have been for most of my life. I run a weld shop for the dredging division of a large organization and aluminum is my first love in the metal department. Can we post pics or do we have to use links to places like photo bucket. I would like to post pics of the boat and post pics of the work to get her back into shape. Not sure how active this site is but, maybe a good restoration project could get some interest going.
I plan on retiring in 3 years and 3 months so I have the time to get her ready before I retire. I would like to have her on the water in 2015. We'll just have to see. I live in Vancouver Washington and fish the lower Columbia river and I own on the longbeach peninsula so I fish Buoy 10 out of Ilwaco Washington as well as Willapa Bay. We Salmon fish, bottom fish, and we eat a lot of fresh dungeoness crab, red rock crab, Steamers we gather in the bay red tail surf perch and razor clams off the ocean beach. It is a paradise. We run a 1988 22ft. Sylvan offshore equipped with Garmin GPS, Furuno radar, Lowrance and Humminbird fish finders. I built the combination radar arch, crab davit, rocket launchers from aluminum in my home shop. The boat used to be an inboard/outboard but I through that away, weld the keyhole shut. Built a bracket and mounted up a Suzuki 140 outboard. My speed went from 30 to 40 mph and my fuel economy almost tripled. My wife and I wanted a bigger boat to take on a trip up the inside passage to Alaska. for a summer of fishing and exploring. The Marinette will fill that bill for us. I am happy to be a part of this forum and I look forward to getting my Marinette on the water!!!

WZ
WeldZilla
All things Aluminum!!
32ft. Marinette with add-on fly bridge
twin 318s (for now)
Vancouver Wa.
My Boats
http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/WeldZ ... g.html?o=0
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Hello Fellow Marinette owners

Post by bill »

BigM Welcome aboard :)
Good luck on your project.
bill
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
WeldZilla

Post by WeldZilla »

Thanks for the welcome....

WZ aka. Tom
WeldZilla
All things Aluminum!!
32ft. Marinette with add-on fly bridge
twin 318s (for now)
Vancouver Wa.
My Boats
http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/WeldZ ... g.html?o=0
Roger2
Aluminum Star

Post by Roger2 »

Weldzilla,
Welcome to the forum. The forum is not as active as once was. Several have moved to Facebook & aren't here as often, more info can be found here. Some of us check this forum most every day,( me) Look forward to progress on your work. Pictures have to be small to be posted here best results if linked to photo bucket or similar.
Welcome & good luck with the Big M

Roger
"Sea Jay" a 37' Double cabin with twin factory Volvo diesels, 230 HP each. Twin Disk 1.54 Trans turning DynaQuad 19X21 props.
Roger Brown
Petersburg, IL
Trowerpower
Aluminum Star

Post by Trowerpower »

Welcome! We have the same boat but ours is an '87 model. It is on a freshwater lake in Tn. Called Lake Norris north of Knoxville,Tn. Sounds like you are a seasoned boater you will be fine. Lots of good info here and folks are willing to offer their thoughts and tips.
Trower Power
1987 32ft Marinette Sedan Flybridge
Blue Sky
twin 392 Chrysler Stroker Motors
Performance Distributors
750 Edlebrocks
fresh water cooled
1.5 to 1 velva-drives
Onan 6.5kw gen set
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

Welcome aboard, as you can see I'm farther up the coast from you in Ketchikan. Been through a lot of the same repairs on my boat and glad that I rebuilt everything. It's far from perfect but it's a good safe boat. Do you have fresh water cooling? That and use aluminum anodes. That will stop a lot of the corrosion problems. I'm at 907-247-2874 if you want to talk. Use shrinkpictures.com to make pics fit here or to make an avatar for your name when you post. So when you have time, put some pics on here, we like to see what you are doing. ----Ed
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
marinetteman
Site Admin

Post by marinetteman »

WeldZilla wrote:Hello to all, I am perhaps your newest member as well as the newest Marinette owner. I just purchased a 1972 32ft. sedan flybridge. I already got my first surprise when I realized the flybridge on my Marinette was fiberglass! I said was because there will be no fiberglass up there when I am done. Mine came with the standard twin 318s. They have not been started in at least a couple years. Not sure yet what I am going to do about the engine situation. The swim platform brackets were bronze I believe and not properly gasketed from the stern of the boat so the galvanic corrosion has nearly eaten through. I will tear all that off first thing. I cut out the entire area and put in new 5086 aluminum.
As my nic name would suggest, I am a welder by trade and have been for most of my life. I run a weld shop for the dredging division of a large organization and aluminum is my first love in the metal department. Can we post pics or do we have to use links to places like photo bucket. I would like to post pics of the boat and post pics of the work to get her back into shape.

WZ
You can post small pics < 50K in size. Otherwise use links. The site is more active in the boating season.

Thanks Joe
Thank you
37 Foot Sedan Twin EFI Crusader 350s
Admin (forum founder)
Marinetteman (marinettejoe) BigM
ddependo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by ddependo »

Welcome, lots of info here. I'm surprised about a 73 having fiberglass. My 73 fly bridge is alu.
Wayne
1973 32 express fly bridge
Chattanooga
"Southern Lady"
RustyBoat
Tin star

Post by RustyBoat »

Welcome!! Im lookin forward to seeing pics of your project!
1968 32' Fisherman
beginning restoration fall of 2014

Lake Sidney Lanier
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bill »

ddependo wrote:Welcome, lots of info here. I'm surprised about a 73 having fiberglass. My 73 fly bridge is alu.
Wayne
There was a company selling glass flybridges. From a distance they looked like aluminum :!: They were for people who purchased their Marinette's as sedans :roll: but latter came to there senses and added a flybridge. 8-)
BigM
bill
Last edited by bill on Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill