31' Marinette

Things that are of general interest.
Chessyman
New poster

31' Marinette

Post by Chessyman »

I am looking for a weight on the 31'. I really like the legnth to beam ratio of the 9' beam models. I think it should run pretty economically at a semi-displacement speed. I am looking to purchase a single engine one, but I am leary of the resale on a 60's boat if I stick a bunch of money into one. MetalHead had some nice pictures of his.

I plan to use it in the Florida Keys in both the backcountry and out in the Gulf Stream.

Anyone with experiance who could let me know about the 31 would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
GB49
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: 31' Marinette

Post by GB49 »

Resale on any Marinette is poor because they are top heavy, its not fiberglass and all the rivets loosen up over time.

Seriously,if resale is a concern, a boat is the last thing to invest in.
If the hull is in good shape, everything else can be cleaned up, rebuilt etc. The boat will last forever but don't expect to get your money back.

I think the older 60's/70's hull style are flatter bottom compared to 80's design. I'm told its more of a pounding ride but if your looking at a semi-displacement speed, that should not be an issue.

Only 2 things wear out on a Marinette, the engines and the owner.
1986 Sedan 32'. Twin Chrysler 360in^3, 275hp.
Forum member since 1998.
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

GB49 wrote:Resale on any Marinette is poor because they are top heavy, its not fiberglass and all the rivets loosen up over time. Seriously,if resale is a concern, a boat is the last thing to invest in. If the hull is in good shape, everything else can be cleaned up, rebuilt etc. The boat will last forever but don't expect to get your money back. I think the older 60's/70's hull style are flatter bottom compared to 80's design. I'm told its more of a pounding ride but if your looking at a semi-displacement speed, that should not be an issue. Only 2 things wear out on a Marinette, the engines and the owner.
Rivets? What rivets? I think that was a joke but your advice was sound. Boats, like diamonds, are a luxury, not an investment. Use, enjoy and get what you can when you are through with the fun (or the glitter).
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
ddependo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by ddependo »

Amen on the "engines & owner" Sure glad I have two engines ,because I've come back on one many times. If I were in the gulf I would recommend twins. Get out of the way of storms when need to. Love my Marinette. Would not have anything else.
Wayne
1973 32 express fly bridge
Chattanooga
"Southern Lady"
MetalHead
Site Admin

Post by MetalHead »

2 Engines - 3 times better than 1 :) .... Maybe 10 times better ... hmmmm :) !!!
1959 Family Cruiser - Sold - Gary Dick - 12/05/14
1963 Express 31x10 - Sold - Joe & Ginger Tabor - 01/21/2017
1963 Express 31x8.5 - In Dry Dock - Restore Underway
1987 Sportsman - Lay Lake (Coosa River) Alabama
Big BigM 's Rule !!!
Columbiana, AL
GB49
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by GB49 »

jralbert wrote:
GB49 wrote:Resale on any Marinette is poor because they are top heavy, its not fiberglass and all the rivets loosen up over time. Seriously,if resale is a concern, a boat is the last thing to invest in. If the hull is in good shape, everything else can be cleaned up, rebuilt etc. The boat will last forever but don't expect to get your money back. I think the older 60's/70's hull style are flatter bottom compared to 80's design. I'm told its more of a pounding ride but if your looking at a semi-displacement speed, that should not be an issue. Only 2 things wear out on a Marinette, the engines and the owner.
Rivets? What rivets? I think that was a joke but your advice was sound. Boats, like diamonds, are a luxury, not an investment. Use, enjoy and get what you can when you are through with the fun (or the glitter).

Ya, the rivet thing was a joke..... I wonder if someone makes a rivet tightener?
1986 Sedan 32'. Twin Chrysler 360in^3, 275hp.
Forum member since 1998.
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

Loose rivets? You buck them.
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

No, really, thats what you do. That will tighten them up. Also if you are tired of overpriced drunks calling themselves marine mechanics, call around and see if you can find an aircraft mechanic that will fix your problems. A good aircraft mechanic is better and might be cheaper. After working on planes these boats are easy.---Ed (retired A+P )
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P