1968 32 ' Marinette -Buy or run away ?

Things that are of general interest.
muskrat808
New poster

1968 32 ' Marinette -Buy or run away ?

Post by muskrat808 »

Hi all , 1st post here . There ia a 1968 32 ' Marinette for sale near me for $ 5800 . Haven't seen it in person but pics ( of course ) look good . Reason for price - engines - twin 318 's haven't been turned over in 3 years and has known carbeuration issues of some sort . They say it ran when docked 3 yrs ago . Are engines sitting for 3 yrs in brackish water auomaticaly gone or are they maybe able to be revived ? If unsalvagable what is appx . cost to repower ? I currently have a 1972 18' Starcraft I/O and am intrigued with a cruiser with an aluminum hull . However is this worth investigating more or should I walk away from this ? Thanks
barkleydave
Site Admin

Re: 1968 32 ' Marinette -Buy or run away ?

Post by barkleydave »

IMHO
Pass on her.... Lots of Ms out there that are fresh water boats well maintained and running.

Low price= huge expense and often no satisfaction...

safe harbors

dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
muskrat808
New poster

Post by muskrat808 »

Thanks for the info , unfortunately here in the Portland OR area there are very few Marinettes ( not that many aluminum Starcrafts either )
ericinga
Aluminum Star

Post by ericinga »

Here's a different way of thinking about it. You'll probably spend $10 - $15K getting that 32 running correctly and still have other maintenance issues due to age and corrossion. So, you will have at least $16K into the boat. For about the same amount, find a used 3 axle trailer for about $6K and buy a freshwater boat from the Midwest. It will cost about the same in the end and will be enjoyable day one.

Just a thought.

Eric
Eric Spies
1989 32 SDFB
Twin 318s
Lake Lanier, GA
Marinette Boat
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

Eric is on the right track... Except.. getting permits etc for all those states is Expensive. Finding a legal road trailer for that haul will not be cheap.

I had my M trucked in and the cost while not cheap ... it was no hassle and boat arrived in great shape.

You could estimate a haul rate of around 4K from the Midwest. There are lots of haulers out there and I was lucky and found one that was dead heading home so got a better price since I was not in a rush.

On tip: work directly with the transport company or Independent hauler. The brokers well let's say ... buyer beware!
dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain