Need dock, lift, and misc advice for new to me Marinette 32!

Things that are of general interest.
garycarroll
Tin star

Need dock, lift, and misc advice for new to me Marinette 32!

Post by garycarroll »

I am (re)building a dock with a boat lift that was destroyed by a hurricane, and at the same time purchasing a Marinette 32 flybridge. The old 18 foot fiberglass boat was taken by the same hurricane.
Now is the time to make changes so the dock and lift are perfect for the Marinette. Our immediate question is the lift... we are thinking a strap lift because we have shallow-ish water at the dock. Straps allow us to come and go as long as the tide will float the boat, while a bunk lift adds another foot or more the the requirement. I need some information on the balance of the boat so that the straps are optimally positioned.
On a 32 with dual engines and a generator aft of the fuel tank (which is aft of the engines), where is the center of gravity, and where should the straps be positioned?
I am thinking that the boat will normally be driven bow first into the slip / lift, which eliminates the concern of a prop accidentally touching a strap.
My guess is that the center of gravity is vaguely about where the engines are located, though this might vary depending of fuel and water and other load changes. If this is true, then one strap right under th sliding glass doors (a couple of feet forward of the stuffing boxes) and the other maybe three feet forward of the windshield of the lower helm?
The boat was lifted out for bottom inspection with a strap lift and that is where they put them; it worked, but I do not know is this is optimum.
I'm thinking the pilings for the lift should be positioned to create a slip that is about 16 feet wide, to allow for the 12 foot beam but not be so far apart as to be an issue for the lift.
Thoughts and suggestions are solicited and greatly appreciated. Any other ideas, like how to do dock security (cameras?) and lighting, run water for the (to be designed) ideal fish cleaning station, or whatever else would make a perfect dock. Feel free to bring up things that I haven't mentioned.
We are really looking forward to our Marinette!
1979 32' Sedan Cruiser Flybridge, "Extended Play"
Dual 350 Crusader, carbureted with closed freshwater cooling
Westerbeke gasoline marine generator
Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Re: Need dock, lift, and misc advice for new to me Marinette 32!

Post by Tuggle »

We have a Boatfloater on our dock, freshwater, sounds like your in salt, but I will say for our application its worked perfectly for almost 10 years. Think they make them custom for very heavy boats.
"Deplorable", 1975 32' Express, Twin 318's, Raw Water Cooled, Lake Lanier, Ga.