Long shot

Things that are of general interest.
Disturbedwrench
New poster

Re: Long shot

Post by Disturbedwrench »

The whole project was a highlight. I’ve rebuilt a lot of different stuff but these boats were just built with common sense. Lots and lots of sanding. Been out on the lake a half a dozen times so far in the last couple weeks and it’s been great. Top speed so far has been 22mph but that was before I opened up the distributor, I’ll load a picture of that. Haven’t had any good weather to try it out with the newly freed up fly weights.
Attachments
FBA4ED7F-53D6-4625-B080-3D9750EE8886.jpeg
6309D356-F293-4BDE-AFD5-AD76AA9B2113.jpeg
Andrew
1975 28’ express
Single 318 raw water cooled
South Haven Mi
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Yikes!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

Andrew's shot of his distributor interior would cause a number of us the same reaction as Jeff's comment!

Questions to those in the know...
- In seeing such a condition, should a non-shadetree mechanic think "this is a disaster that is way above my capabilities!" -or-
"Is this a condition that's not great - BUT - using resources available through this site and other forums, can I correct the problem with my (limited?) capabilities?"

We all pretty much face similar situations of this, or like type, condition(s). Knowing, from those with experience in tackling similar issues, what to generally expect should they consider fixing the problem on their own provides a better understanding of how to proceed.

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

Catching up on some older posts as I don't get to visit the forum as often as I used to. Yikes indeed Jeff. But you would probably be surprised how many hidden electrical components get to this point when neglected. The Mopar distributor is actually very simple with few parts and easy to rebuild. The advance springs are available from Summit Racing for replacement as they usually break like one of them in Disturbedwrench's photo. Those frozen advance weights greatly rob performance at cruising speed because the dist is running the timing roughly 10 degrees below what it is supposed to be. There are more adverse effects that this condition will cause that would require alot more to explain, but let the photo do the talking !
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio